Good Meat Market?

hi all,

I used to live in VIC where I could go down to Preston market and fulfil all my doggie meaty needs. There I could buy chicken necks for $1 a kilo, wings, lamb flaps, shanks (shanks were about $2 each) bones, fish (fish heads for $1 a bag- I still think they should be free!!!) offal of all kinds even heads, tongues, you name it, they had it....rabbits, even hares!

So I'm wondering if there is a market where I can buy cheap meat from? I went to Paddy's market but I hated it... I don't think it was very good for meat...and the crowd my god! I think manners are left at the entrance...

What does Parklea market sell??

My local butcher sells marrow bones by WEIGHT and charge me about $4 for one... this is the stuff they used to chuck before they realised they could make $$ from it. (They were $1 at Preston market..)

Hopefully someone can fill me in, otherwise I'm gonna get in my car and drive around for a day and see what I can find.

Best of luck finding an all in one meat market but heres a few places we use.

Chicken.

Frames 95 cents a kilo.

Necks $1.30 a kilo

Wings damaged $ 1.00 a kilo.

orders placed the day before you want it, damaged wings seem to be normal to me, the dogs dont care about there looks too much

13-15 Amax Avenue Girraween NSW 2145.

Ph 02 9842 1137

Mon-Fri 5am-3pm

Sat 5am-12noon

Meat.

Available minced,diced or whole.

prices from, $1.50-$2.75 kg

All pets pantry North Richmond (02) 4571-3368.

Bones.

Beef brisket,Lamb Flaps,Mutton flaps.

Priced $1.35-$2.35 a kg.

ADDRESS

Unit 4/264 Hoxton Park Rd

Liverpool

NSW, 2170

Australia

Ph: (02) 9607 9033

Hi Knobbles,

Could'nt help but agree, also from Melb :mad and put a similar post regarding Leonards Pet mince, interested to see where others get their food from the prices here are amazing we are in the Hills district where are you?

Edited to add went to parklea market a bit like Carabeen Market in Ferntree Gully

Edited by mclennan

I've never been to the carabean market before... seriously I miss my Preston market!!! Sometimes I used to walk down there with an 'old lady trolley' and meet my friend and I introduced her to BARF and showed her all the stuff to buy. We'd buy our meat & fish then our vegies then go to the deli section together, and sometimes we'd bump into friends we knew. :mad I miss it!!

Where's the hills district? :laugh:

Does Parklea have meat?

I am near St Clair.

A shop opened in St Marys with fresh dog meat but closed down soon after. I must say though it wasn't that good.

I might go for a trip to the all pets pantry soon and check it out.

Hi, :mad where is St. Clair :laugh: Hills district is Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills Kellyville. Yes I also miss my old haunts I had two wholesale places where I would get my meat from, one a chicken shop in Brandon Park shopping centre (Glen Waverley area) he would fill a very large barrel with frames and bits and peices and charge me $10.00 and I had a lamb place that I would get bones, necks whole, some with skin on still Yuk but the dogs loved it $1.00 per neck then he would make a large bag full of bones and ribs and I'd give him $5.00 . I had 2 airedales to feed , now in Sydney I have a cocker spaniel pup so I dont need the volume of food I did. Parklea Market I only visitied breifly I did notice vegs but not any meat How long have you been here?

Hills district is Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills Kellyville
where's that!!!! :D

haha, us Victorians have no idea :(

I'm kinda near Penrith about 20 mins drive opposite direction of blue mountains.

If I only had a small dog to feed I'd just buy the barf (I found a distributer on this forum) but I can't buy it all the time as I am feeding three large dogs at the moment!!! One dobe, a dobe x rotti and a weim!!! Crikey can they eat... and we only have a small freezer!!!!

I thiiiink I know where the hills district is ok I just looked up on whereis.com and it's about 50 mins drive from me.

The pre packaged barf diet would be great for you only having a small dog, and you mix and match with other meaty bones and stuff so you stretch it out... ever tried it?

I don't really like the look of "pet mince" ESPECIALLY the chicken, because I mix the meat up with vegies & stuff and when it comes out of the bowl there is a thick layer of fat left in there. I'm assuming the mince is just made from skin/ offal/ bones and a very small amount of actual meat.

There is a little fruit market up the road from me on the great western hwy, and it has a sign out the front saying they now have a butcher, may be worth checking out, might go see what they have to offer today.

I think I need to invest in a chest freezer!

Guest magnum

Our GSD's are so fussy with the meat, we now get our meat from World For Pets just up from Vineyard vet Clinic.Windsor area...

We are very happy with the quality of meat, Semi lean beef is our dogs choice of meat...

Must say I'm fussy with what I feed my fur kids....

As long as the pet shop don't sell puppies & kittens I'll buy there :) unless of course they are rescue dogs...

I just went to that little market type shop on westren hwy... normal sized butcher there and I got lamb shanks $1.50 each, lamb offcuts same price per kilo, chicken wings were 2.50 a kilo and they also had mince (human grade) if you buy 3 kilos it works out to around 5 bucks a kg. Which is ok coz the mince looked good. So they had a few things which is good to know if I run out of stuff as they are just up the road ;) there's also 'the big chicken' down the road from me were they sell cheap chicken products... although they keep battery hens I'm pretty sure and don't like supporting that trade. Why must I be so ethical it's a pain in the arse :D

Let me know where pet barn is and what they have wont you dremen?! :(

just went to that little market type shop on westren hwy

Where abouts is this?

Petbarn is located near Coombes Drive (i think the major street is called Correen Ave), Penrith. I will let you know what they have when I get back from lunch.

I am feeding three large dogs at the moment!!! One dobe, a dobe x rotti and a weim!!! Crikey can they eat...

*whistles innocently* :D :(

I think Tessy was either a vacuum or a fridge in a previous life :)

Let me know where pet barn is and what they have wont you dremen?! :(

They have heaps of stuff there! Chicken necks, brisket bones, roo mince, chicken mince.

I bought 1 kg of chicken mince for $1.45

Most of the bones etc are frozen in 2-5kg bags.

Yes pheebs you just sit there whistling and looking in the other direction ;) ;)

Tess is very well mannered when it comes to food... you think Tess is a vacuum, well my dogs must be... ummm.. some big industrial hard core vacuuming machine :D my dogs eat so fast they almost choke and then I have to watch leela because she tries to finish first so she can try to steal the other's food... god she's naughty...

She is settling in well, she had a bit of a tiff with leela and didn't want to know her for a day and a half, but now they are playing again.... IN THE HOUSE :( now that Leela has affirmed her status as top dog... she has let Tess know that all the toys, beds, pats & whatever else is doggy currency is all hers, hers, HERS! (BITCH!!!)

Tessy pie is a sooky-la-la and really cries when I leave... she keeps waiting at the door for Pheebs :) but she is happy and quite attached to me, and has finally stopped trying to get on the couch!

OH keeps making comments about the house being taken over by dogs and that they make it messy:rolleyes: I told him they are not as messy as him!

I should get the dig camera and post some pics of them all...

The shop on western hwy is in Minchinbury just up from the Bunnings (coming from Penrith)

edited to say oh and tess has no lead manners!!!!!!! She is like a steam train.. any suggestions Pheebs? How the hell did you walk her, or is she just being naughty to me? LOL

Edited by knobbles

she keeps waiting at the door for Pheebs :(

;) ;) ;)

She is like a steam train.. any suggestions Pheebs? How the hell did you walk her

Aaaaaaaahahahhahaah I forgot to tell you :D :( (no, that wasn't a 'convenient' forgetfulness either haha).

To tell you the truth, towards the end I had to actually stop walking her and take her to the park instead as I have a congenital collagen disorder which causes my shoulders to dislocate :o

I have a harness for her (which, would you believe I forgot to pack in her 'luggage' :D) which DOES help (a bit though not a great deal). I can't stand the 'choking' noises she makes when she pulls so hard on the lead the collar strangles her! :D :) ;)

congenital collagen disorder which causes my shoulders to dislocate

CRIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I came home with a bit of an aching lower back, but no dislocated shoulders!!! My god!

We have hijacked this thread :) ;)

I'm going to go in the rescue forum and tell EVERYONE how much luggage tess came with... She definately IS female :D

um...three bowls

bags of treats

bag of pasta

two bags of dogs food

two towels

3 dog blankets

two dog mats, one being a new doggy bed

one kennel

numerous toys, some new some old

two leads

medication

heartworm tablets