Casting For Retrieves?

... hmmm... where to start.. it's been suggested that I try ratg... but here is the issue.. milo only casts approx 30-40 mtrs for a retrieve.. any further, and he just returns to me... so.... I'm assuming I just slowly increase the distance? say, ok, he'll go 30 mtrs, attempt to consistantly get it approx 40 mtrs till he's consistantly retrieving from that distance/?? then 45? etc... is this the best way? I'm doing this on an oval atm, once I have him doing distance? look into other scenarios? or look into fields/water etc, for closer retrieves straight off? what's the best way of working this??

Is someone throwing the dummies for you? I would suggest you start on an oval without cover and do a retrieve at his comfortable distance, but make sure you have plenty of room behind you. When he is returning with the first dummy, walk bakwards 4-5 steps so his return is a bit longer. Take delivery and then turn him around, get your thrower to throw a dummy into the same spot as last time and send Milo. The dog is then returning to a familiar area, but it's a slightly longer retrieve because you have backed up. Repeat this a few times so on the 4th or 5th retrieve you've increased the distance 15 or so metres. Increase it over several training sessions. I'd be hesitant to go straight from 30 to 40 metres, that's a big jump for an inexperienced dog.

Remember to work on one new thing at a time, so if you're increasing distance, don't also introduce cover and/or terrain. You might need to shorten up your retrieves initially when doing this.

FHRP has given you a good exercise, here's another:

Put a post/witches hat or some very visible marker a short way into your training area. Walk the dog at heel and as you get to the post, throw down a bumper and say "dead bird" or something to mark the object. Throw another bumper in the same place and repeat the phrase and a third if you have one. Walk your dog a short distance (still at heel) then turn, remove the lead, point at the post and say "Dead bird" (or whatever your marker phrase is) "Fetch". He should head straight back to the post to get the bumper he knows is there. When he gets back reward him. Walk a bit further and repeat . . . . . .

Hope that makes sense. You can do this until he will go the distance you want back to the post because he knows there is a bumper there. He is not only learning to go the distance, but also learning to go where you point and to trust that when you say "dead bird" there will be something to find!

Edited by JRG

Try John Lawton at <http://www.specdog.com.au> and/or John Hodson <www.sportingoutbacksupplies.com.au> and see who is offering the best service.

John Hodson has an online store, John Lawton does not.

Do not buy blaze orange or black dummies - start with white ones as your dog will find them easier to see. I suggest before you buy any you find out which type RATG are using and for that you will need to ask someone who knows! because it could vary from State to State :confused:

Initially you can make your own - stuff a sock with tennis balls and tie the top. You can also make them from canvas fire hose.

Edited by JRG

Try John Lawton at <http://www.specdog.com.au> and/or John Hodson <www.sportingoutbacksupplies.com.au> and see who is offering the best service.

John Hodson has an online store, John Lawton does not.

Do not buy blaze orange or black dummies - start with white ones as your dog will find them easier to see. I suggest before you buy any you find out which type RATG are using and for that you will need to ask someone who knows! because it could vary from State to State :confused:

Initially you can make your own - stuff a sock with tennis balls and tie the top. You can also make them from canvas fire hose.

The last RATG I entered, all the dummies were very dark green, and brand new, hard for the beginner dogs.

I have just bought a mix of white and dark green from SOS.