Second Dog

Del678

We're thinking of getting a second dog. Our desexed gsd is nearly 2 and we would like to get a second dog. I've read raising two puppies together is a terrible idea but what about getting a second dog as the first is approaching adulthood (though in some ways still very much a puppy at 2).

Any tips or rules multiple owners could share? Especially of big and/or working breeds?

Rules we've heard:

- no unsupervised play or together time in general

- have new puppy spend a lot of time just with owners so gets bonded and therefore obedient to owners due to drive to please, rather than to other dog

- I've read conflicting opinions on walk/train together/separate

- we are the alpha, not the dog.

One concern is that in the process of bonding with puppy and keeping first dog away or outside when other is inside, the first dog will feel rejected. Am I just humanising?

So much online seems to be against multiple dogs and yet we see people with two seemingly friendly happy dogs all the time in our area. So confused!

Yep it is confusing, but not all advice applies to every single situation.

The easiest way to add a second dog is to get one that has similar needs and complementary temperament to your existing dog. For instance if your existing dog is a high energy people focused dog then ideally you would get another similar aged high energy dog with a high prey drive so that it was ball focused - that way they would keep up with each other when exercising or playing but would not directly compete (as competion might lead to a resource guarding situation).

However, in the real world, the ideal does not always happen, and in my experience most second dogs can fit well into the family given some forethought and common sense.

Most people add a puppy - puppies have greater needs than adult dogs so care must be taken to give equal attention to first dog to avoid the canine equivalent of sibling jealousy. Before bringing the puppy home, you will have organised an indoor playpen and or crate where puppy can be safely confined without restricting first dog's normal indoor access. For large breeds, playpen panels plus furniture can be used to fence off a portion of the living area.

While puppy is under five months old (will vary according to breed size and development) you will always actively supervise the two when they are together. As most of us do not have the funds for a dedicated kennelhand, this is why the pen and/or crate are needed. It is both a time-out space for puppy to learn to rest quietly and a safe space where puppy can see, hear and smell first dog without being able to actually torment him/her.

The initial training of a new puppy is best done one-on-one, or in a group with other puppies and their handlers, but there is no reason not to walk together with first dog as long as you have two handlers until puppy is fully trained and reliable.

When selecting a puppy, you best bet is to find an experienced breeder who will meet your first dog and then pick a puppy that will be the best match for your situation. Try to avoid breeders who will sell you a puppy based on colour or whatever - let their experience recommend the best match from the litter.

Our female Alaskan Malamute was almost 12 months when we decided to bring home a male 9 week old Akita.

Our girl is very boisterous and excitable and has a rough play style. Breed wise, they have quite similiar qualities. The breeder chose for us a male who they thought would be a good match for the existing girl. We have found it easier the second time around with raising puppy no 2.

Our male is very easy going and tells his sister when he has had enough. Sometimes she chooses not to listen and they have come to a head a couple of times.

It has been great bringing the two up together, despite her being almost 12 months at the time. She is a great example for him to follow, eg she does not chew things aside from her toys, she doesn't sit on our furniture, she rides well in the car and on the trains, is crate trained. We have put a lot of time and effort into her training and it has paid off. The foundation training is hugely important.

We always supervise them when they play, and when they eat. They get on well together, better now that they are the same size. She tried to bully him more when he was smaller in size.

We walk them together, sometimes our girl is not keen to go on walks if he isn't there. Because of his age, she sometimes doesn't walk far.

Raising two dogs can be done, absolutely, you need to be consistent and put in a lot of effort.

Thanks for your responses. That's prett much what we thought before the internet got to us :) glad to hear it can work. As always, it sounds like the key is being an active owner, putting in time and effort.

Honestly in over 30 years of owning multiple dogs I have never had any trouble with them bonding to me. I've trailled dogs in obedience, agility and conformation shows. All my dogs have known how to be inside or out, on their own or with others. Put the work in, get the results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always had two dogs,and it has always worked beautifully.I always have one male,one female.As others have said a lot of time must be put in ,especially in the early months.At present I have a female Japanese Spitz,4yrs old and 10 inches tall.We also have a collie 11months old male.We were a little concerned about the size difference ,but it has worked out so well.Jesse was crate trained from 8weeks so Lulu could have peace when he was too boisterous ,and we never leave together if we are occasionally out.,always mindful play could get out of hand and Jesse could accidentally hurt Lu.I think with common sense,a lot of work and training it is beneficial to both dogs.Ours are always together,both have time and attention alone with us,Lulu sleeps in our room as she always has Jesse is not allowed in there.My previous two dogs were a Keeshond and a JSpitz( now passed on) and they were great mates...Good Luck :)

My mum raised two labs, she bought one and a week later got another. They always slept together and were left together with no issues. We also had two samoyeds IN the UK, we got a second when our male was around 3.

Never had any issues, we crated them both seperately when we were out and at night anyway.

We will be getting a malamute when our current puppy is around 18mths old. Our male is in a huge pen when we are out, so unsure about the mal as was going to put them both in the pen, why cant you keep them together? Will check with the breeder but everyone I know with two keep them together.

We will crate at night in seperate crates side by side in the bedroom and if we need too keep our sammy in the pen and the mal in the crate when we go out.

Edited by fluff1234

So much online seems to be against multiple dogs and yet we see people with two seemingly friendly happy dogs all the time in our area. So confused!

Are you sure that the online stuff isn't warning against getting two littermates? Many people here would be in furious agreement with that.

However two dogs separated by age? Lots of folk have two dogs - they are a social, pack animal after all.

In answer to Fluff1234,we keep these two separate when we are out because of the size,age and development difference .What is playing to Jesse could soon really hurt Lu.Our last two were always together,Samoyd and Keeshond ,as they were more the one age and size.I think the benefits of having two dogs(if your circumstances allow) outweigh the drawbacks.To me,litter mates are ideal if possible. :)