Fussy Beagle Puppy

DREMEN

We have a 11 week old Bealge Puppy named Bella.

She has become very fussy and only likes to eat chicken. Even when we cover chicken with puppy food she will just pick out the chicken pieces.

We have tried getting her to eat all kinds of puppy food ranging from Pedigree to Hills, but she just likes chicken.

We are sick of cooking chicken drumsticks then ripping off the chicken for her to eat.

I am worried she will get under weight or miss nutrients that are in the puppy food.

We also buy her bones which she loves, but there isn't much meat on them.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ben

Edited by DREMEN

Don't cook 'em :mad

Here's what we've given Indy since we got him:

Advance Puppy/Euk Puppy for brekky (about a handful), occasionally 2 or 3 tablespoons of plain yoghurt by itself. We started off with having it moistened, but he didn't like it after a few weeks, so we just gave it to him dry and it's gone in no time.

Lunch: frozen barf patty (includes mince, fruit/veges, tsp garlic, tsp kelp powder, tsp brewer's yeast powder, tin of sardines, bit of olive oil, spoon or two of yogurt, sometimes honey) all mixed up homogenously. Sometimes a fish oil capsule broken over the top too. This is about snowball sized.

Dinner: 3-4 chicken wings.

Every 2-3 days he gets a lamb shank or pig's trotter (cheap as). The only treats he gets are liver treats when doing commands. We don't succumb to the pleading beagle eyes.

She's got you wrapped around her little paw! Put the food out - if she doesn't eat it in 10 minutes take it away. She'll eat whatever you put in front if she's hungry enough! As long as there's plenty of water she'll be right.

Get some mince and mix with dog food, that way she can't pick the meats out and has to eat the dog food as well. If she doesn't eat, take it away, she won't starve herself, when she is hungry, she will eat anything and everything! :mad

yep, whole and raw. Although at first we broke the wings into thirds at the joints to make it a little easier, these days he just seems to inhale them :laugh:

Chicken bones are ok, like any bones, with supervision. When they are cooked, that's when they are more dangerous as they splinter.

You can also go for chicken necks. It's the calcium and other goodies in the bones that's good for them. Also, when they're fresh, it keeps teeth clean and breath ok.

Any large meaty bones we give Indy basically have a day's lifespan on them as they get really manky with the heat, and that's when he gets bone breath. Fresh is best, naturally :mad

The other meal Indy gets every now and then (weekends mostly when I've got more time to make it is a porridge meal with raw oats soaked for a bit, and then add some dried fruit to it (and a few more goodies, such as egg yolk, honey etc (like in the barf patties)). He wolfs that down too.

He, he, he!!!

I posted the same thing about Bailey our 12 week old puppy!

He only liked to eat the meat and not the dry food.

I got lots of advice from everyone here and basically took the meat away. He only gets it a dinner, if he eats his food during the day.

Basically, he won't starve himself, he will start to eat the dry food in no time when he figures out its that or nothing. He needs his puppy food for all the good stuff that is in it!

Bailey now eats his dry food with no fuss!

Mel

Dinner: 3-4 chicken wings

A day???? That seems like so much to me, lol, Diesel (8 month old BC) only gets one chicken wing (large) or a lamb shank for dinner. If he got three or four he'd be in Heaven... and pretty fat... lol.

Well, he's 6 months, just hit 10kg in a pretty linear way (no obvious growth spurts), and he's very trim. Looking from above he has a good waist, and he has good muscle tone. He's very active, and in no way do we want him fat. He eats what he gets in less than 10 minutes, and he has never had additional treats, other than say half a doz 5c piece-sized liver treats.

If it looks like he's on the verge of porking up, we'll reduce the amount, but right now, he looks the goods :mad

Now is the time to watch Indy (post nip). After desexing is when they tend to ROUND up :D I forgot to ease up on freckles and she gained a bit of weight. By no means fat but I realized that I needed to cut back on the lamb bones.

Now back to the question, I think the others have hit the nail already. Your pup won't starve so remove the food if not eatten and offer again next meal and puppy will learn that that is what dogs eat. They learn too quickly that 'if I don't eat that she will give me something else" Be strong and you will win this battle.

A beagle that won't eat! Now I'd like to see that :(

He he Indy is in hyper mode this morning apparently - better knock out more food so he doesn't have the energy! His favourite trick is running up the hall and doing a belly slide :( I think Daddy will need to have some naps so that Indy cuddles up too to calm him down!

Swallowed the chicken neck whole, eh? That sounds more like it! :) I'm sure Indy inhales his :D .

Yep, sounds normal to me! For the first few weeks we watched like a hawk everything that he did, after a while you figure out, yep, things are pretty well sorted. I only lift a head now when things are quiet...too quiet...must be up to mischief!

We are still having problems feeding our beagle puppy :vomit:

She doesn't eat very much at all. She doesn't touch dry food or any kind of pet food. She will eat a little bit of chicken mince. And she will eat chicken necks but only two at a time.

She looks alot smaller then other beagle pups I have seen pictures of :)

DREMEN, is Bella active even tho she doesn't eat? does she eat grass in the lawn? when you took her for vacination at the vet, did you mention it to the vet?

It is unusual for beagles to not like food, mine little one gulps down everything that's in front of him..... On the other hand, my friend has a cross breed puppy who doesn't like to eat at all, he eats about 2 teaspoon of dog food a day, but loves grass in the lawn. You may want to check with your vet regarding Bella's eating habit.

She is very active. Always running around, it’s almost impossible to tire her out.

She does eat grass and things in the garden sometimes but I haven't noticed her eating overly much grass.

We mentioned it to the vet and he said she looks ok, doesn't seem dehydrated. And when he gave her some liver treats she gulped them down.

She gets wormed every 2 weeks.

If she doesn't eat, where does she get all the energy to be so active that's what puzzled me. Obviously you have tried skipping a meal and hope that she eats the next meal.... Do you feed her snacks now and there thru out the day, coz that may be the reason that she does not eat her main meals.... I am scratching my heads :vomit:

Well she does eat but very very small amounts. Like two full spoons max.

We don't really give her snacks during the day but we have been worried lately so we have been feeding her chicken necks during the day. Approx 2 or 3 per day.

Last night my OH gave her a chicken neck which she ate, so we gave her another one and she buried it.

This morning when she was let out she dug it back up and ate it.

she might just have very small appetite considering she would bury the chicken neck and dig it up to eat the next day....but then she would need more nutrients to grow than just chicken necks. Have you try mixing 1/2 a tin of "My Dog" with puppy food? I was told they are very tempting to dogs as they smells very yummy!