Flea/worming Solutions

Arcana

Aloha DOL! It's time to pick up some flea/worming products and I've been keen to try Sentinel Spectrum, but as I've settled on this solution I've realised I have a conundrum. Is it ok to use if your dog is already on the annual heartworm injection? I appreciate everyone guidance and anything beyond the (Drontal and Frontline/Advantix option I currently use).

Personally I would wait until the 12 month injection is due again and then don't get it. Use the Sentinel instead. If nothing else at least with sentinel you are only dosing a months worth in one hit. With the injection you are hitting your dog up with 12 months worth and if something goes wrong you've got to wait a loooooong time for a reduction of the drug in its system.

Edited by ~Anne~

Short answer is: NO.

Giving Sentinel Spectrum would be a double dose of heartworm preventative.

eta: Are you in a paralysis tick area?

If so, you'll have to stick with Advantix/ Frontline, then add an all-wormer.

If dogs doing OK on what you're doing so far, just keep it up and talk to vet when Heartworm Injection next due.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I live in SEQ and use Advantix for ticks and fleas and Drontal for worming. I use a monthly heartworm preventative (running a rescue means I can't afford Proheart 12)

My guys are also on the ProHeart injection and I use Advantix combined with Drontal every three months. I've looked into not using the heartworm injection and realised how slack I can be at remembering things like worming tablets -- although I've since discovered a fantastic app on my phone called IPetCare which notifies me when tick, worming and injections are due.