Helping Puppy Sleep In

Beckybecbec

Im at my wits end and I really think I have no hope.

My 7mth old staffordshire likes to wake really really early.

For the last few days its been 5.30am on. the. dot.

For weeks and weeks before this it was 6am on. the. dot.

Its uncanny! There was a time it was 7am... there was even a time I was waking HER up!

She has been crated (covered), for night time only, since the day she came home to us. She sleeps next to her separately crated older brother, 8mth old, mini schnauzer. And most days I can tell hes only awake because of her!

She doesnt cry... she doest paw at the door... she doesnt bark. She just lets out this ridiculously loud sound like an audible yawn. She doesnt pee in there, infact its another 10min or so after acting like a loony toon before she'll go outside to pee.

Environmentally: We live in Tassie which practices Day Light Savings... its light at 5am!

Edited by Beckybecbec

If she doesn't need to pee, ignore her.

If she does take her out to pee then put her back into the crate.

I did this with Nova when he decided 5am was a great time to wake up, but he would end up falling asleep outside anyway. Now he sleeps until 7:30 or 8.

Thanks Lisa :)

I'll give that a shot.

We've tried ignoring her but staffy voice gets louder and louder.

Sometimes we'll leave them both outside for an hour or so but various neighbours leave for work or walk by with their dogs and Saxon, being the alert one that he is, barks at them all 'GOOD MORNING'!

I would just ignore her, or take her out to pee then back in crate. Nala understands our routine now, and doesn't cry in the morning, she might go on her puppy pad before we get up, but she doesn't wake us up with any noise. We do take her out last thing before bed and 7am we take her straight outside (that's her poo o'clock).

Jager did this when he was younger, mainly weekends. We broke it by taking him out to the toilet, giving him breakfast and then leaving him in his play pen while i went back to bed. He didnt like that idea so after a couple of weekends of that, he was only waking me up to toilet and then we would both go back to bed. If he didnt settle, he went to the play pen. But generally he just went straight back to sleep.

He would much rather be asleep next to our bed then on his own in the loungeroom.

Edited by Nushie

Small victories with Sansa and her sleeping...

I tried the technique of putting her back in her crate... yeah nah... that hasnt worked at. all!

I swapped their crates over... Saxons is slightly bigger.... well the next day and there after we've had 6:30-6:45am wake ups :D Happy days!

We're working on it though... definitely a work in progress...