Dog Friendly Cake Recipes

YvonneM

So - I want to bake Banjo a birthday cake for his first birthday - my first hurdle is finding a bone shaped cake tin - but I wondered if anyone out there in DOL-land had a dog friendly cake recipe they would be willing to share, or point me in the right direction. I'd like the cake to be yummy for the humans too so we can!! I had thought my regular carrot cake recipe would be suitable (minus the nuts) having really only eggs, flour, brown sugar, grated carrot and vegetable oil. The icing I use on my carrot cake is generally cream cheese and icing sugar - would that be too much sugar for doggies?? Of course, he would only get a very small amount.

If I can find some simply yummy home made doggy treat recipes I'll have a go at those too, but most of the ones I can find online are all US based recipes.

I think you need K9Angel! She is the Queen of doggy birthday parties, including cakes!

Okay, so to be truthful, I AM having a bit of a shin dig for Banjo's birthday, it's not just a birthday cake :D Hopefully K9Angel will come by and post ...

I'd love to see some recipes too - it's only 1 month til Nixon's 1st Birthday!

Your cake sounds lovely Yvonne - Nix loves carrots, so that's a good idea for me. Maybe you could use greek yoghurt for icing on part of the cake for Banjo?

I think I might design a yoghurt/carrot/banana cake...

The next step is how to convince my husband I'm not a nutjob, for wanting to have a birthday party :)

Hehehe ..... glad to see that I can make you feel better a about having a party StephM and Aliwake - although all my work colleagues think I'm a bit crazy!!

I was inspired by Jules who had a party for her girl Miah not too long ago.

And I will share this because you will understand :laugh: ..... I made cute invitations on Vistaprint which included a photo of Banjo ....and I have ordered a whole bunch of puppy birthday stuff from a US website called "Birthday in a Box".

Nice!

I guess the big decision will be whether to invite dog park friends who will think it's a great idea, or normal friends who will think I've lost it... hmmm

It's a hard decision .... I've invited a couple of friends with their doggies that I know Banjo gets along with, and they are well balanced and placid doggies .... with the exception of his littermate brother who is tagged as "Wild Child" :laugh: I have also asked a couple of friends without doggies but who love Banjo and know how much he means to us. Should be about 14-16 humans and 5 fur-kids!