Benefits Of Yoghurt And Probiotics

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing?

ie. can I try ACV, calendula AND Protexin for an itchy dog with suspected mites or just try one at a time?

Well they all do different things and work in different ways and none of them can do any harm. The ACV will kill the mites and make the skin yukky to them if you put it on the skin and if you feed it, the calendula will sooth any symptoms caused by the biting and the protexin will provide good bacteria. All of them will help build the immune system if you feed them too. End result a healthier immune system so more resistance and an easing of itchiness.

Thanks Steve! In regards to the ACV and calendula, would you advise using a diluted ACV spray for a few days (I presume no rinsing?) and then bathe in calendula? Or is using ACV spray followed by a calendula bath okay as well?

Edited by moosepup

Thanks Steve! In regards to the ACV and calendula, would you advise using a diluted ACV spray for a few days (I presume no rinsing?) and then bathe in calendula? Or is using ACV spray followed by a calendula bath okay as well?

Tell me exactly what you are dealing with, is there any broken skin? Are there areas that are more affected or is it all over|?

No broken skin from what I can tell. He has very slight hair loss around one eye (which is why I suspect mites) and a very small amount of hair loss from the tips of his ears but I suspect this is from catching the tips when he's scratching his neck with his head bent over. Most of the scratching is just around his neck, his fur is still soft and shiny.

I was hoping to try these alternatives before a vet visit but I'm not sure how imperative him seeing a vet is. Besides the scratching he's his normal happy self.

No broken skin from what I can tell. He has very slight hair loss around one eye (which is why I suspect mites) and a very small amount of hair loss from the tips of his ears but I suspect this is from catching the tips when he's scratching his neck with his head bent over. Most of the scratching is just around his neck, his fur is still soft and shiny.

I was hoping to try these alternatives before a vet visit but I'm not sure how imperative him seeing a vet is. Besides the scratching he's his normal happy self.

Would be better if you go a diagnosis with a vet first but no matter what it is including mites it's still about his immune system .if you put some AC Vinegar on a cotton ball and wipe it over the area where the fur is missing - being careful not to get it into his eyes of course then you should be able to see if there are any mites on the cotton ball under a good magnifying glass. If there isn't any broke skin if this were my dog I would mix one third of a cup of vinegar in 4 cups of water - then systematically apply the liquid with a sauce type bottle - when he is dry I would do the same with calendula tea.

Consider what he is eating and what his diet might need to improve his immune system and take a good look at what he may be exposed to re chemicals and stress in the environment too. Oh yes how are his ears?

Thanks for all the help Steve, I'll take him to the vet on Saturday for skin scrapings just to be sure as it's possible it could be an allergy.

I will try as you suggest in the meantime and see if it helps soothe his itch.

He gets Artemis dry with yogurt in the morning and BARF with mackerel, salmon or sardines in the evening. He also gets chicken necks or wings a couple of times a week.

Thanks for all the help Steve, I'll take him to the vet on Saturday for skin scrapings just to be sure as it's possible it could be an allergy.

I will try as you suggest in the meantime and see if it helps soothe his itch.

He gets Artemis dry with yogurt in the morning and BARF with mackerel, salmon or sardines in the evening. He also gets chicken necks or wings a couple of times a week.

Diet looks pretty good - any heartworm meds ? Does he sleep inside or outside?

Sleeps in my bed. He has Interceptor ever 6 weeks, last dose being early Feb.

Forgot to answer you before - his ears are perfect - clean, dry and no smell at all. I've just done a thorough inspection and none of his skin appears red or sore so really besides the itchiness and little hair loss patches on his ear tips and around the eye he's perfectly fine. No sign of fleas or flea dirt.

I'm thinking now it could be a contact allergy as there has been no diet change and there was one day last week when we went for a walk and when we got home his paws were red and he was licking them like crazy. A colloidal oatmeal soak and some paw paw and they cleared up pretty much straight away.

I really can't wait for the calendula to arrive so I can see if that soothes the itches. :)

Another great thing to do is to get a chamomile tea bag (organic if you can), steep it in warm water, let it cool and then wipe the teabag across your dogs eyes and any inflamed areas. I have a spoodle and I can tell when she's about to get an eye infection as her eyes start looking a little irritated and the chamomile really relieves her discomfort and helps to prevent them becoming infected.

Sleeps in my bed. He has Interceptor ever 6 weeks, last dose being early Feb.

Forgot to answer you before - his ears are perfect - clean, dry and no smell at all. I've just done a thorough inspection and none of his skin appears red or sore so really besides the itchiness and little hair loss patches on his ear tips and around the eye he's perfectly fine. No sign of fleas or flea dirt.

I'm thinking now it could be a contact allergy as there has been no diet change and there was one day last week when we went for a walk and when we got home his paws were red and he was licking them like crazy. A colloidal oatmeal soak and some paw paw and they cleared up pretty much straight away.

I really can't wait for the calendula to arrive so I can see if that soothes the itches. :)

Take a long look at why you are using the interceptor and whether you really need it - I dont think you do.

Probiotics are the cornerstone of good health, and their benefit cannot be under-estimated. The primary rule of a probiotic is that it cannot be pathogenic (cannot cause harm), so it is always safe to try a probiotic. The dose rate will depend on the potency of product (number of bacteria per gram), a safe dose is 2.5-5g daily. A really good quality product will be freeze dried powder, refrigerated or frozen. I have been getting amazing results using a product called "Entralive", and information can be found at entrapro.com.auProbiotics & Healthy Pets.doc

Probiotics are the cornerstone of good health, and their benefit cannot be under-estimated. The primary rule of a probiotic is that it cannot be pathogenic (cannot cause harm), so it is always safe to try a probiotic. The dose rate will depend on the potency of product (number of bacteria per gram), a safe dose is 2.5-5g daily. A really good quality product will be freeze dried powder, refrigerated or frozen. I have been getting amazing results using a product called "Entralive", and information can be found at entrapro.com.auProbiotics & Healthy Pets.doc

thanks Bruce

There are several different Entralive products - which one do you use for dogs and what dose rate?

Ah O.K. What diet is the dog on?

Chicken necks.

Optimum dry food (adult, small breeds variety)

Roo mince meat (she wont eat it raw so I cook it a bit in a pan with no oil)

Applaws (tin) "Natural Dog Food" chicken breast variety

Beneful (tin) "Chicken Medley"

I used to give her a nightly bowl of milk which she really loves but lately I've not been giving it to her in case it's feeding the yeast.

There are several different Entralive products - which one do you use for dogs and what dose rate?

I use the Entralive LoAlaG tub of 75g, dose at 1/2 teaspoon daily for a 10kg dog, 14 days, then as required.

I have a vet appt this afternoon to confirm but I think I found the culprit for the itching... ticks. :eek: :eek: :eek: I have never ever had a dog with ticks before (if that's what they are) so I didn't even suspect. :(

I didn't know ticks could be so small though. I don't think they're fleas as I've never seen fleas just latch on to one spot and not move at all and it seems localised to his ears and a paw. I feel so bad, I'd felt the ones on the tip of Nacho's ear but just thought he'd scratched himself and it was a scab. :(

Edited by moosepup