Home Made Yogurt For Dogs

sheena

I have always made my own yogurt & I usually add a few drops of Calcium Chloride which helps to thicken it. I thought I would start making it also for my dogs as it has all the good stuff in it like probiotic culture. Do you think it is OK to add the Calcium drops to it...can you overdo the calcium fed to dogs? I thought I would mix a cup of coconut oil into it once it has set (1 & 1/2 litres of yogurt). Also, those who feed yogurt, how much would you give them a day...I was thinking about 2 tablespoons each. :confused: Both BC's.

Edited to correct..its Calcium Chloride, not Calcium Sulphate

Edited by sheena

I recently read a book which suggest you can over do yoghurt. sorry - over do calcium. I think it said no more than 9oo mg per day or about 1/4 teaspoon of egg shells.

Will have to pull it up and find the answer - will need a few days.

as for how much to give - I give Scottie (10 kilo foxie) between 1 teaspoon and 2 tablespoons of Jalna natural depending on what he's eating. He goes through about 180 grams a week and LOVES it. He will actually pick it out of things and leave the rest sometimes.

Edited by Scottsmum

My yoghurt maker is small jars, I would guess around 200mls each. I usually give the dog half a jar every day. It's probably 2 or 3 tablespoons I guess.

I'm not sure about the calcium drops though, I usually just add milk powder to thicken.

Yogurt has small-ish amounts of calcium in it so there's no risk of overdoing it with adding calcium sulphate. 2 tablespoons isn't going to make much of a difference in their daily calcium intake.

Scottsmum, for most medium to large sized dogs 900 mg's day is nowhere near enough and while you can absolutely overdo it (especially with growing dogs) dogs are able to excrete excess calcium up to a certain point . Unless you feed ridiculous amounts of course.

Thanks everybody. I just corrected my original post as it is Calcium Chloride I use to thicken my yogurt, not calcium sulphate. In any case, it is just added calcium. I also put more powdered milk into the mixture as well. It turned out well. I added the coconut oil while it was still warm then gave it an occasional stir while it was cooling in the fridge. Looks good enough to eat & smells divine. Will see how it goes tonight on their dinner :)