Who Are Allowed To Microchip Puppies, Only Vets?

Safffy

Basically as the title states, I had a quick look but found nothing so thought I'd start a new thread. I'm sure its been discussed here before.

Who is allowed to microchip? Only Vets? Or any member of the public? Does a course on how to inject to regulations need to be done.

Breeders pay a lot to Vets for 6 week vacc's and microchip injections. Would be interested to see if we can reduce costs. ;o)

The names of the acceptable courses are listed clearly in BBJ's link. You would have to contact providers near you in order to to get those details, as it will depend upon which course of study you undertake. Most of the ones that I am aware of are part time for four or five years, or full time for two. Not sure about the Cert III ones listed, they could be shorter.

Passing one of those disciplines would entitle you to implant, but I'm not actually sure that it would entitle you to purchase chips, etc, for use in Victoria on dogs (except greyhounds) and cats. Your best best is to phone the friendly people at DPI and patiently be transferred from one to another until you find one that does know the answer.laugh.gif

You don't have to do the whole cert III etc to become a microchip implanter I don't believe. From what I have heard you just need to have completed the specific UOC on microchip implantation, but working with/for someone who has higher quals. I could be wrong, but a couple of years ago that was what was able to be done.

Yep, in Vic you have to have someone such as a vet who is your supervisor or employer, which kind of makes it not worth it because any vet with half a brain isn't going to agree to let you nick their clients :laugh:

In NSW you get the qual and you operate independently without anyone supervising you

You don't have to do the whole cert III etc to become a microchip implanter I don't believe. From what I have heard you just need to have completed the specific UOC on microchip implantation, but working with/for someone who has higher quals. I could be wrong, but a couple of years ago that was what was able to be done.

Ahh cool that is promising. My Vet charged me for 7 microchips last week and gave a 25% discount which was nice. But then I saw somewhere here at dogzonline that had microchips for 6.50 each. I remember the breeder of my boy did the implant the morning of getting the dog. Knew it wouldn't be too hard to do.

The chip kits themselves aren't all that expensive... I've bought them for under $5 each... but you need to have an implanter ID number in order to buy them (in NSW anyways).

Usually when you have a vet do the implantation, you also get a health check and whatnot, so their time is going to factor into the costs there. The cheapest I've had a vet do a litter of pups was $30 per pup. Individual implanters tend to charge less than that, but most I know charge around $20 per pup and maybe a little less each if you are doing an entire litter.

Having held MANY rescue pups while they were implanted, I can say that there is definitely an art to insertion of that enormous needle - you don't want to be getting it wrong and making them bleed profusely, or worse have the thing pop through the skin into your own finger!

I can give a vaccination, but not game to do the chip implanter course...

T.