Would Love To Know If There Are Any Other Rough Collies On Here?

Aleksandra 157

Jesse is a rough collie,but has not really got the typical collie nature.He is shy and very reactive on lead.He hates people coming to our house

and I have him on a short leash till he settles.With our family he is beautiful,affectionate obedient etc.I would love to know if anyone else has a r.collie? :)

I have two. They aren't meant to be shy or nervous but some are. I've been lucky in that over the last 30 years I have never had one with either problem but they are out there. Having said that it doesn't stop them being lovely pets or from getting sporting titles. :) Mine will tell off anyone who comes to the door but once I let someone in and they have inspected them they are fine...well apart from being a bit over zealous in their inspections. :laugh:

Thank you for your reply, Natsu chan.Yours sound beautiful! I also had one about 20yrs ago and he was so gentle and wonderful with my young children ,however Jesse could not be trusted around children off leash.Over the years I've had mainly spitz breeds,with no trouble so thought I would have a change and get another collie.He comes from a reputable breeder and unfortunately in NZ.it is difficult to see the pups before buying as 1000 miles away,so have to take on trust,.I knew he was timid when I got him and as he is 14months old I doubt that will change.I am starting a training couse soon,but I have a feeling this may be genetic.Fortunately he does get on very well with Lulu,my 5yr Japanese Spitz.I would be so grateful if you or anybody else has any ideas on how to help the situation.Thanks again.

In my experience training does help to a degree. Building up their confidence and management but it is a temperament issue. It is unfortunate but sometimes it will crop up even when the parents themselves are fine. Personally I would crate train him and crate him rather than leash him when you have company. He will begin to put himself away when he feels stressed, and being able to contain him safely will make you feel better.

I would love to see a photo. There is a collie thread in the breeds sub forum at the top of this forum too.

These are my girls.

post-16956-0-74736600-1391762369_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-37652800-1391762394_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much! Your girls are just beautiful! I will crate him next time anybody comes,fortunately I bought a large crate/pen so he's fine in there.It's strange as we sometimes take both dogs to local cafes and he is like a lamb!Sits under the table and doesn't murmur ....but walk on leash and see another dog...all hell breaks loose!As I am quite small I just can't hold him.Fortunately we have 2acres so he has plenty of exercise,chasing rabbits etc.I wonder if I should just accept him as he is,and realize he prefers to just be around us and cannot go off leash.We had an awful incident at the beach recently,I always keep him leashed but husband let him off as we were th only ones there.Fine until a lady came up behind him unexpectedly and before H could grab him Jesse nipped her ankles!I tried to catch her up but she disappeared.He did not draw blood but would have given her a real fright!I've been upset about it ever since as in 40yrs I've never had a dog bite anybody.Having said all this,rehoming is out of the question as we love him so much ,as he does us.Sorry to rave on and thank you for reading it,just feeling discouraged.I will post photos as soon as H is home,as I can't do it ! :)

.but walk on leash and see another dog...all hell breaks loose!As I am quite small I just can't hold him.Fortunately we have 2acres so he has plenty of exercise,chasing rabbits etc.I wonder if I should just accept him as he is,and realize he prefers to just be around us and cannot go off leash.We had an awful incident at the beach recently,I always keep him leashed but husband let him off as we were th only ones there.Fine until a lady came up behind him unexpectedly and before H could grab him Jesse nipped her ankles

:(

You also need to protect him and you from situations which may turn nasty.

I have no idea , but would suggest you contact someone reputable and experienced in enzed- someone other than a franchise with a catchy name , someone who will talk to you, and someone who can explain WHY the behaviour is happening :)

Yay,I just found the collie thread!Persephone you are so right.This incident could have had disastrous results and I will never let it happen again.The problem in small town NZ,is it's so hard to find qualified peopleI I moved here after the ChCh earthquakes,but really am struggling with not being near hospital facilities for myself and professional people for the dogs!I've never had a dog as reactive as Jesse and in retrospect I should have got a smaller breed at my age!I did try for 12 months to get another Keeshond ,as I have had two and find them easy to manage,however I would have had to import from Oz.Thank you for your reply and thank you Natsu chan for putting me onto the collie thread! :)

Lulusuki if Jesse were mine I would email Steve at K9Pro or one of the very good trainers on here and see if they know anyone over there that they could direct you to. I'm sure you'd both be happier and have more fun if you had the right help. Pointless for anyone here to offer suggestions beyond the basic as we can't see what is happening. Nipping at the ladies heels is not on but could be related to his breed (they are herding dogs) not just his temperament. I'm sure he's a sweet boy he just needs some help. :)

Thanks Natsu chan,yesterday I emailed an excellent NZ trainer(don't think I'm allowed to name him on here).After phoning him and researching him online,I signed up for daily video training.Not as good as one on one but that is not an option at present as he is in Auckland and I in Nelson Even after one lesson I have learned a lot ,so will keep you updated.Am still waiting for H.to take the photos for me to post. :)