Collar Or Harness

Pinchy

If he bites you scruff him hard and give him a stern NO and growl. If he's chewing your hands thumb under the tongue. It has to be aversive or he wont remember the lesson. Deal with it then adn there.

He's trying to get to other people because you have not taught him the value of yourself. If he wont listen, drag him away if you have to and regain his attention when he calms down. Haredown whippets is right, he's not stubborn he's an untrained puppy you're allowing get away with bad behavior. Put him on a collar and if he's choking himself, walk him away with quick pops to the leash. If he was that uncomfortable he would stop pulling straight away. If he goes to dash off or pull give him a pop on the leash before he does it and call him back to you for a reward.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again thanks for the help. I've had him for two weeks. That's why I am here asking for opinions:)

He has his mat in the loungeroom that I work with him on every day. Treat him there, bones there, calm there, toys go there.

He has been habing kibble for morning and the bones at night. He has them inside on his mat so I can keep an eye on him.

I'll swap to a bone in the morning when we are doing the busy coffee out the door at 6 and see how that goes. I'm not having the coffee then, just trying to get hubby out the door for work. I take him out again with me while I am having coffee and we do some quiet stuff early before the kids get up. Then he usually goes back to sleep while I sort the kids for school.

I don't think I am doing a bad job. I researched and waited for years to get him. Sometimes I just question whether I am doing the right things and it's nice to be able to talk to like minded people.

The people I know with dogs are either treated like humans and are total ratbags or are ignored outside like a plant. I don't want either. I think I actually read too much and it confuses me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to answer everyone but I have no idea how to quote:(

I usually do one of three things with his kibble. Spread it around and get him to look for it, use it to train at night or he sits to have it in his bowl. I think I am confusing him making all different ways to get dinner. I'm such a softie!

Thanks Haredown:) we are starting puppy class with someone down here who has a great reputation as a police dog handler. I have spoken to him on the phone and am really happy with how he came across.

I also have some good feedback about the obedience club in my area so that will be next when he's a bit older:)

Don't be too hard on yourself Pinchy, puppies are HARD WORK (if you want to set them up to be good dogs, which its clear you do). It is confusing reading so much information and there are many different methods that people use. My suggestion is read everything then use your judgement about what makes sense, what you are comfortable doing and what you can realistically implement.

Try not to expect too much from your puppy either, especially in the length of his concentration span. He's still very young so short (5 mins at a time) training sessions) and consistency in every interaction you (and everyone) have with him are what will help him learn what you want from him at this age.

ETA - I don't really see an issue with mixing up how he gets his kibble, it will keep mealtime interesting and get him thinking. Good idea to have bone time as consistently quiet on mat time though so he knows the difference between activity kibble time and lie still bone time.

Edited by Simply Grand

We did a few short leash sessions today, he was ok for a few minutes:)

Just quickly, with the nipping: is time out in his crate a bad idea? I don't want to make the crate a negative place, he doesn't use it during the day much but sleeps in there at night.

If I put him in there with a chee toy or bone is that reinforcing that he will get a treat when he uses his teeth??

At the moment the only way I can get him to stop the mouthing is to physically remove him. Toys, food distraction aren't working when he is in silly mode. I just don't want the crate to be a bad place.

I did put him in the laundry once but he went off scratching and whining. He knows in his crate if he wines for a minute he wont come out but if he is settled he will and he settles quickly in there.

His crate was in my bedroom for sleeping but this afternoon I have moved it to the loungeroom so he can see us.

For bed he gets his kong but for biting I have just been popping him in there calmly.

A play pen is no good, he can climb:|

I want to make sure this isn't a punishment just a removal to calm for a minute.

Coming in late here, but I'm going to go against the grain and say that harnesses definitely have a purpose with SOME dogs and SOME handlers. I feel more in control when my dogs are in their harnesses and even though one of mine is obedience trained and titled she's still in a harness in some situations.

I use harnesses when I am not able to give them my full attention (eg. if we are going to markets/events) and most of them time if I have them out and about together. I took my 6 month old puppy to his first obedience class today on a harness, as I feel it is more comfortable for both of us if either of us accidentally yank/change directions/something goes wrong. Carrying a mat, a bag, and handling a nearly 20kg puppy while 7 months pregnant, you bet I'm going to use a harness!!! I don't expect myself nor my dog to be perfect :)

As far as the morning crazies go, I think it's a lot about routine. Pick something you expect your dog to do and stick with that. Mine get walked first thing of a morning of a weekday then they have to relax while we are getting ready for work. When learning that, puppy was penned/crated with intermittent rewards for being settled/quiet. He's only just earned "free range" privileges during that time and if he misbehaves he's back in his crate.

Anyway, puppies are really hard work! We all make mistakes but all we can do is try our best. Dogs are very forgiving.

Thanks guys. Walking out of the room gets my ankles nipped. Standing looking at the ceiling with crossed arms works for a minute but taking a step starts it again. A toy distracts for a second if I'm lucky.

Nekhbet the growling no, and thumb under the tongue works for an instant too but as soon as my hand is out we are back to silly.

It needs to be quick and clear, no sweet talking, press his mouth the way Nekhbet explained and either a loud firm growly NO and then stand up and ignore him until he settles, once he's calmly looking at you and has settled you can play again but if he does it again, repeat. He needs to understand that if he bites that mum will growl at me and I won't get to play and it needs to happen EVERY time.

We also put in a "only calmness pays off in the house" rule. Silliness can happen outside but inside is for quiet and gentle play, pats or resting. We used the firm method in addition to time outs as our puppy is very stubborn :) It felt like it took AGES to sink in but it eventually did.

Once Epic learnt that I meant business - and I didn't need to hurt him, just a growl and an immediate time out - he started to "get it". He didn't get any second chances, so it became obvious that it wasn't going to get him anything good.

Thank you for the encouragement:) he is good generally and learning quickly at other things. It's just mostly this yhat I am not on top of.

Even today with me taking it slowly and rewarding small steps his leash walking is way better. I think it's the devon in my hand!!