Puppy Born Inside 4 Amniotic Sacs

Christina

:eek: My dog had her 1st 3 puppies with ease, as always, but no placentas came out.

Unusual. Its her last litter & this hasn't occurred before.

The 4th one came out & she looked a bit tired so while she was nibbling the cord I went to break the sac near its head. It broke & pup was still inside another sac :eek: Weird so I broke that sac & there was another sac. Feeling a bit of panic & puzzlement now I broke that sac & to my amazement puppy was in another sac with a stretched placenta over its head to its neck. My hands had black & green yuk on them. It stained & had to wash them twice to remove it.

Freed pup from the lot expecting the worst & it was breathing & seemed strong & vigorous.

Bit raspy, gurgly so I did a few swings with her & she seems fine & feeding now. How odd.

Still missing 3 placentas. I sat with my dog the whole time so didn't miss them.

She seems happy & relaxed with them all so guess its vets or oxytocin shot in the morning.

Hopefully she will expel them before the morning.

Edited by Christina

Fascinating! Guess the little one could be called "Babushka" like the russian dolls!

Hope mum is Ok ..and gets rid of what she has to safely .

Brilliant name. Thank you. Goes nicely with my prefix too.

Mum is fine. After hanging around home for last few days not wanting to leave her alone I was running out of stuff, most annoyingly soy for my coffee. Ran down to the garage quickly & got some soy & chicken & chips. Guess who abandoned her babies as soon as she got a whiff of food & was begging at the lounge door.

Had to give her some before she would get back in with them :laugh: She has had another small feed too.

Whatever else it is, breeding is never dull. Maybe that pup came in extra wrappings because he was special?

Try the girl with liquid calcium, if you have any - and perhaps that and the milk coming down and releasing oxytocin will expel the placentas.

Good luck with them. Hope they all thrive and prosper.