Monthly Arthritis Tablet

kamuzz

Coda, my 8 year old GSD, has arthritis in one knee.

Recently we were at the vet for some pain relief, and the vet was talking about the options we have to treat him.

One suggestion was a tablet that is given monthly. (Well, you give 2 doses fortnightly for the first month and then monthly thereafter.) The dog has to have a blood test to check kidney function before starting treatment.

Has anyone tried this?

I used it in the past for my older boy. Initially I didn't want to use it at all because I was worried about side effects and remaining in the system so long. But it was a last resort situation - my dog had a severe disc collapse and basically nothing else was working to control the pain. There was no other option.

It worked very well and turned out to be the only medication that could control his pain. So it gave him very good quality of life for several months. However in the end it is thought to have contributed to his rapid kidney failure (his kidney function was fine before starting treatment).

I don't want to recommend one way or the other, but personally I would only consider using it again if faced with another last resort-type situation where nothing else was working.

My vet recommended Glyde Powder for my German Shepherd, he is noticeably better. I first started with 4 scoops and then after a few weeks we cut it down to two scoops each day with his food.

In the past I had tried a couple of the other brands but Glyde has really worked on my dog Cheppy which I guess it's why its a bit more expensive.

I would avoid if u can ...the concerns is the kidneys and the product itself doesn't recommend itself for long term use. I would stick with another nsaid and start a loading dose and gradually work to lowest possible dose daily.

Cartrophen injections would be worth a try too.

Physiotherapy is another option to reduce the dose of drugs required. Doing exercises to keep dogs mobile does make a significant difference to their pain. If your interested have a look at www.k9physio.com

NSAID's are good at controlling pain so certainly worth investigating further.