Surgical Aftercare.

Steph M

Hi all!

So today Gus had the snip and a hystiocytoma taken off his back ankle and the nurse was under the pump and neglected to tell me whether I needed to change his ankle dressing at any point.

She gave me the spey aftercare, which is fine but nothing was said about the leg.

I'd imagine if it were me I'd change it pretty regularly, but is it something that should come off in a day or so? I've no idea.

It's well after hours now and if I need to redress it I'll have to swing by a chemist before they open, so if anyone has any handy hints to share that would be lovely!

I'll reward your time with sad cone of shame photos :thumbsup:

iFD3sqf.jpg

g4jGAUI.jpg

And too sad for bacon rind!!!

C3Ayluq.jpg

Thanks all.

My guess would be it is left for a day or so. Certainly over night would be fine and then just rung in the morning when they open and check :)

Those cones look so much better than the plastic 1s. And they must be much kinder on the back of your legs, drop frames and everything else they always manage to crash into. LOL

Vet does open at 10 tomorrow, and I won't make it to the chemist unless its early. We don't have any crepe bandage or anything, only pressure ones which are no good.

If it can wait we are all good! I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

He seems less fussed after a sleep, however Rosie is losing her mind with fear at the cone. Gus is so confused, poor loves!

Piper the cone is amazing! Must be less jarring when he walks into things too, plus it folds back to eat and drink. Like magic!

It looks like they have used vet wrap - that stuff is normally there for a couple of days :) And normally if redressing is required they will say to come in for them to do it, or offer you stuff to take home and do yourself (at least that is what mine have done but I just keep my own supply of vet wrap and non stick dressings due to a dog being prone to foot injuries.)

2 days would be ok if its not a weepy wound which it should't be. it could just be protecting some sutures so could be fine to take off sooner. Just check that the foot is not swollen and its not uncomfortable and the bandage stays nice and dry.

It looks like they have used vet wrap - that stuff is normally there for a couple of days :) And normally if redressing is required they will say to come in for them to do it, or offer you stuff to take home and do yourself (at least that is what mine have done but I just keep my own supply of vet wrap and non stick dressings due to a dog being prone to foot injuries.)

Haha. I assumed she would say something but she was closing up and there was still a woman waiting so she just forgot I guess.

Will leave it on and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!