Anyone Need A Cheap Show Trailer?

kelpiecuddles

Hope this is OK to post but someone on my local buy and sell on facebook is selling a 4 berth dog trailer for $450. Not registered and needs lights and mudguards done. Not the ritz of trailers but looks in decent condition for someone willing to maybe spend $150 to fix it. If anyone wants a link let me know.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Bugger all ventilation and my guess is no insulation. No internal doors or windows which means you can't open it up at shows. My guess is it wont pass a roadworthy either.

I'd not put my dogs in it

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Doesn't take much to add more whirly gigs and some vents if you wanted though. Show trailers go for thousands so it's be a cheap base for someone with some DIY nouse. I did check with him and he said the only things needed for roadworthy and mudguards, I replaced the mudguards and did the wiring on ours for under $150 for heavy duty mudguards

Doesn't take much to add more whirly gigs and some vents if you wanted though. Show trailers go for thousands so it's be a cheap base for someone with some DIY nouse. I did check with him and he said the only things needed for roadworthy and mudguards, I replaced the mudguards and did the wiring on ours for under $150 for heavy duty mudguards

Every hole you'd cut in it would weaken it structurally. You could not leave dogs in it at shows or for roadside stops in summer as it has no internal wire doors. It also has no crate or trolley storage and no tack box. Nor does it have a proper rear bumper so where is the spare tyre? The catches on the doors look like they'd shake open pretty easily too.

Did you ask him the last time he replaced the bearings?

A decent dog trailer is constructed to carry dogs in safety and comfort both moving and stationary. Some of them cost a fair bit of money for a reason.

Transporting your prize show dogs in a dodgy show trailer is false economy IMO.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It's sold by the looks. I personally was considering it just to carry gear, my dogs travel in the car anyway and I like I that way. I'm half way through fixing up a very large caravan taking it from a $1000 piece of junk to it's former glory and worth probably well over $10,000 and will have spent less than $800 to do so, so in my mind it was a frame to be built on only. I wouldn't have used it as is for dogs, would have been basically a camping storage van which is how my parents use their dog trailer.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Just happened across this thread,those who go out and spend thousands on a purpose built dog trailer are mislead to a false sense of security,I have seen many purpose built dog trailers which are in fact death traps for your dogs,To----- trailers come to mind,I've seen two of these involved in accidents,believe me they fare much worse than a few home made trailers I see,they are built for one purpose by a company,to make profit for the manufacturers.

Yes I do have a dog trailer and no it did not come from a well known dog trailer manufacturer,but survivorbility of my dog's in this one would out rate any purpose built trailer from a suppodely recognized trailer manufacturer of dog trailers,I have a friend who recently went to the expense of getting new 4 berth trailer from a Victorian company,I certainly wouldn't put my dog's in it nd the time they had to wait for it to be built and tome the quality for the amount they paid is a joke.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a home made trailer or an older one,as long as the base is sound and person doing the repairs and or modifications Knows what their doing,just as safe as a purpose built trailer by a company who deals in specialized trailers for dog's,those who think other wise are either naive or simply thick.

This one was pretty old and basic SS as the price suggested, definitely would have needed some hard work to make it suitable for serious use as a dog trailer but as I said I've never transported my dogs in a trailer anyway, they always travel in the car with us(even wet and stinky LOL) and the gear travels in the trailer which is what I would more likely have used this for. I have two medium- largish size dogs now and could easily fit two more in the back of my car(as it is I load half the boot with gear and my dogs travel in the other half) so i see no real reason why I would need to put my dogs in a trailer. If we stop I either take the dogs out or I open the very large boot back(top opens right up and bottom folds down flat to the full height and width of the car interior) and the dogs simply sit in there within my line of sight.

Just happened across this thread,those who go out and spend thousands on a purpose built dog trailer are mislead to a false sense of security,I have seen many purpose built dog trailers which are in fact death traps for your dogs,To----- trailers come to mind,I've seen two of these involved in accidents,believe me they fare much worse than a few home made trailers I see,they are built for one purpose by a company,to make profit for the manufacturers.

Yes I do have a dog trailer and no it did not come from a well known dog trailer manufacturer,but survivorbility of my dog's in this one would out rate any purpose built trailer from a suppodely recognized trailer manufacturer of dog trailers,I have a friend who recently went to the expense of getting new 4 berth trailer from a Victorian company,I certainly wouldn't put my dog's in it nd the time they had to wait for it to be built and tome the quality for the amount they paid is a joke.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a home made trailer or an older one,as long as the base is sound and person doing the repairs and or modifications Knows what their doing,just as safe as a purpose built trailer by a company who deals in specialized trailers for dog's,those who think other wise are either naive or simply thick.

In this particular case then,sounds like the trailer being advertised,should in fact not been advertised as suitable for a dog trailer,as for carting the dog's in the car(yes I have been know to do it when only carting one or two),but this too,unless you have all the right harness restraints for the dog's,this can and is also extremely dangerous,not only to the animals but also the occupants of the car,there is an amcap testing video out there,which demostrated the dangers of carting animals,cargo and loose children and goods in a vehicle and boy the results make you think about carrying your dog;s in a car,even in a wagon with a supposedly approved cargo barrier,you would be horrified when you see what a approved cargo barrier can do to a dog in the event of an accident.

In theory it would be OK for short trips on a cold day(no worse than some of those crappy set ups you see on utes in that regard!) but for anything more would have needed some more ventilation added and some insulation at least. In terms of design it was a dog trailer, 4 berth, internal dividers, etc, just not the level of comfort and suitability for all weather that most showies need. As I said, it's similiar stuff to what I'm doing on the caravan I'm repairing so if you were good at DIY you could have fixed it up relatively cheap.