Getting Your First Show Quality Pup

Homeriver

One more question, are children welcome at shows? Wondering whether to take my kids while I'm just at the looking stage as I think they'd find it interesting or is it a sit very still and quiet sort of thing?

One more question, are children welcome at shows? Wondering whether to take my kids while I'm just at the looking stage as I think they'd find it interesting or is it a sit very still and quiet sort of thing?

I'm not an exhibitor, but I have taken my daughter along when we've visited shows.

Obviously they need to be well behaved and understand that they are not to pat the dogs (unless you've asked the owner of course!) and to not run around or be noisy... just that basic sort of sensible behaviour, good manners, and respecting people's space etc.

I found the exhibitors were all welcoming to her :) she had a very nice time and fell in love with a couple of wolfhounds and a Chinese Crested :)

Kids are welcome but like all places under control ,There are dogs of all shapes & sizes & varying nature backgrounds that will differ to your Lab.

Touching dogs without asking won't go down well .I guess the best way to put it is this isn't the dog park,dogs are in a very controlled environment so owners are very careful to what they allow & when they allow it .99% will be crated & in peoples tents .

Sitting ringside isn't an option as that is the marshaling area .

If you truly want to take the kids along the Lab champ show would be the best one as there aren't many shows on that day so plenty of free space to not impede on owners .

If your going down to talk with breeders i would be more inclined to go kidless unless they are old enough to follow your rules ,its very hard to listen & watch children when people have spare time .

If the shows are outside its certainly more child friendly ,if its raining the shows go under the roof & it is very cramped & loud & hard to chat with people