New Addition

huga

I don't know :o , I think I'm exposing correctly?? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm also having trouble with the focus points - I tend to use just one, and move it around depending on the photo, but sometimes the camera refuses to use the focal point I've set and focuses on something else instead.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know :o , I think I'm exposing correctly?? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm also having trouble with the focus points - I tend to use just one, and move it around depending on the photo, but sometimes the camera refuses to use the focal point I've set and focuses on something else instead.

Ah, frustrating. Check your settings? You probably have - but just in case. Has it always done that, or is it a new thing? I toggle my points too and that's what the D700 had started doing. Mostly in low light. It's so frustrating to lose a good image to missed focus!

But I do badly now want the D800 :) . Where did you buy yours?

Well, I found Camera Pro to be the cheapest (non grey) for $2845, but Jb Hifi beat that for me at $2737. Plus they gave me a deal on all the cards too.

I've done some reading, I think I'm under exposing. I tend to do that :o

I do too! I prefer the lights and darks vs the light and fluffy, so I have to make a real effort to not under expose when shooting at high ISOs. Remembering though, that there is no one correct exposure :) It's all a matter of taste - just points to consider for different shooting conditions.

Did some more reading and it appears it's a the focal point issue is a common problem with my camera. It has been happening since I first got it. It was frustrating yesterday as I got some lovely photos of the woman on the chair only to discover that the focus was completely off on all of them - it had focussed on her hair instead of where I'd asked it to (her eye).

Yes, same, I under expose because I prefer it but I now know not to do that when shooting at higher iso :).

Madly thinking of what I can sell (anyone want to buy a kidney?) to raise the funds for the D800.

Gah. I know exactly how you feel because that's what the D700 does now. Yesterday when I was out, shooting into the sun (which is tough on the focus), the camera kept finding the focus far too quickly :laugh: I was positive it was going to be off - but it wasn't! Hooray! The other thing that floored me was that it focused on Sid running towards me - something that has been nearly impossible for a while now.

I know, it's expensive. I've been saving for a while now.

Great shots glad to see the new toy. I have a d600 and since day one been wishing for a d800. How big is the standard file? Looks like I need to save for additional hard drives as well....

Love that "Fresh Out of the Box" moment :)

Oh and on Wednesday I shot the refuge animals in jpeg for the very first. God, I was apprehensive :laugh: There is a bit of a difference in the colour and highlights, but not enough for me to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after seeing Huga's gorgeous pics and after a bit of prodding from a professional photographer friend, I bought the D800 too :D . Had a play with the camera on the weekend and LOVE it! Can't transfer my pics to Lightroom as my version is too old, so I'll need to upgrade.

A question for D800 users:

Do you use the Active D Lighting (think that's what it's called)?

(edited - think I worked out the answer to my second question)

Edited by gapvic

Hooray! Do you think you could download the LR 30 day trial?

Also, I don't use the active D lighting and I have no idea about viewing in B&W. I tend to work so fast that it probably wouldn't be viable for me anyway.

Can't wait to see your first pics!

Yes, trial might be the way to go :)

My first pics are crap lol! But what I LOVE is that the camera will focus where I ask it to. My D7000 has always been hit and miss.... not sure if it is the model or there is a problem with my camera.

Missing focus is so bloody frustrating! Especially when you know it's not you!

I bet they're not crap. I was disappointed with my first ones when I saw the on the back of the camera. The RAW files look different and the WB is different to the D700 too.

Missing focus is so bloody frustrating! Especially when you know it's not you!

I bet they're not crap. I was disappointed with my first ones when I saw the on the back of the camera. The RAW files look different and the WB is different to the D700 too.

Yes, very frustrating!! I'm really looking forward to getting the images off the camera tonight.

I've got no-one to photograph this week :( . Does anyone in Vic want their photo taken?

You'll have to do selfies ;) Or get the horses and dogs involved?

Since you've bumped this back up, I shot my first wedding with the D800 on Saturday. Used 3x16GB cards for a 6 hr wedding, instead of the usual 1 and a bit for a 12 hour wedding :o Still trying to get used to that. We had lots of photo time, so I probably shot more than I usually would for a shorter wedding. Anyway, pretty pleased with the first couple I pulled off:

14040461571_b1bddd8d28_c.jpgblogDSC_1487 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

14063673383_f50de96244_c.jpgblog1590 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

Oh and lovely Fran's e shoot (which is where I took Sid for the practice run earlier):

14043668225_a1a326bcfe_c.jpgblog0664 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

14020532376_ff2063b467_c.jpgblog0806 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

14063677853_0e58097201_c.jpgblog0820 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

14063675983_035d40ce09_c.jpgblog0837 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

14040458931_5d265c6cc4_c.jpgblog0854 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

14043650865_abb9998100_c.jpgblog0869 by Katie Takes A Picture, on Flickr

The wedding was right in the heart of the city - ceremony at the QLD State Library and reception at The Gallery of Modern Art. Both bride and groom are architects, so it makes sense :) We just shot around the South Bank Parklands.