Vet Recommendation In Tassie

Kaffy Magee

I sold a Bullmastiff puppy to a home in Tassie. A few months back they contacted me and told me their vet had told them he had hip dysplasia. He was only about 12 mths. Vets do this all the time so I told them not to panic. Vet reckoned he could tell from looking at him but they did take X-rays and decided from those he did. I told her again not to panic and to send them off to Lavelle for scoring. She did and they came back a 12, which is great! The breed average is 22.6. So everything is all well until I receive a call two nights ago saying their vet wants to do a total hip replacement. Now they have sent me a video of him walking and there is something going on with his left hind but myself and those I've shown it to don't believe it's a hip issue, it looks more in the hock. No other diagnostics have been undertaken, no other X-rays of spine, or further down the leg, no visit to a chiropractor, nothing, so I'm not happy the vet has decided a total hip replacement is neccessary considering nothing else has been ruled out and his scores were good. So my question is, is there somewhere highly recommended in Tassie I can send them for a second opinion. Cheers, KM

Not a vet recommendation, but if you think it might be worth a greyhound man giving him the once over too see if there is anything out of position, then I can highly recommend Graeme Moate - 03 6272 5493 - he operates out of the showgrounds in Glenorchy, which is a suburb of Hobart.

Sorry, I lived in the North so only know Northern vets.

I am sure their are plenty of top ones in Hobart. Why not suggest they go to a dog show and ask the exhibitors, they would be sure to know of someone. Their is a show on in Hobart tomorrow. :)

My apologies that was today their was a show on. But check the shows on in Tas. on the Events Diary on DOL.

Edited by oakway