Club Insurance Against Dog Injury

Mystiqview

A topic has come up at our 4x4 club regarding dogs on trips and insurance. There has been a couple of incidents where one dog has "attacked" another dog/person.

So the issue has come up with regards to insurance and the injured party suing not only the owner of the dog but also the Club and club committee members for damages.

Normally you would think "Inc." (incorporated) would protect members from such. Apparently the club/ state governing body insurance does not cover dogs on trips and any injury they cause. Mind you 4x4 is already a dangerous sport.

Some committee members have spoken to various legal firms - for everyone one that says the committee would be safe unless they were proven negligent - there is an opposite one saying they're not covered and could be sued. So the debate has come up on whether clubs should ban all dogs on trips.

I have been asked to look at Dog club/ANKC type insurance as this is the main focus of the club so the insurance policy should cover such an incident. I have looked at the policy from Dogs Qld from their website - however it would not seem it specifically mentions injury from dogs (even so far as someone trips over your dog/lead and breaks an arm).

Can anyone point me or shed some light on whether club insurance covers committee members from dog injuries while hosting a dog related activity?

Edited by Mystiqview

Why don't you contact the company the insurance is through and ask them. I think the VCA still uses Ford Kinter for their insurance. Maybe it might be worth a call to them even though you are in QLD.

As with all insurances, it is a complex issue. I would have thought that the 4x4 club's insurance would cover things relating to that activity but not a dog related injury/attack unless they are stipulated as part of that activity or perhaps caused by something done by the club that instigated the problem.

Just my thoughts no idea really.