Best Vehicle For 5 Small-medium Dogs

planetpink

We need to buy a new vehicle for transporting our 5 small-medium dogs in crates (plus luggage).

I've seen some wonderful set ups at dog shows but did not investigate them at the time because we weren't in the market for a new vehicle.

I don't want to use a trailer as I like being able to see the dogs and make sure they have air conditioning etc. I'm also not confident at manoeuvring with a trailer!

What do you use?

Have you seen any particularly good set ups?

Many thanks,

Planetpink

I have a VW Maxi Caddy. If you put in a false floor you can store gear below and dogs in crates above. Even without the false floor there is ample room, but with it you will have a lot more. It is an economical vehicle (I have an automatic turbo diesel). Very manoeuvrable and just as good for commuting. You have the option of more seats if you ned more than two.

I have a trailer for the gear & to use on hot days when packing as it is cooler than the car .The dogs rarely travel in it but i wouldn't do with out it

We have a 4wd & a carnival .

The Carnival is great with the seats out & if we put a false floor in would get more use but we don't need it .

The air con vents are right down the back to which was important to us.

We are looking at a new vehicle & again vents right at the back or a must have .

Depends on how many people are coming and how much luggage; and the exact dimensions of the crates. I've often been surprised at how much I could pile into the back of a normal hatchback with rear seats removed. When I was in Oz I had someone custom weld some dividers for a Ford Festiva and was able to carry several dogs, plus a lot of stuff with no problems.

Edited by sandgrubber

• 1 month later...

I have a VW Maxi Caddy. If you put in a false floor you can store gear below and dogs in crates above. Even without the false floor there is ample room, but with it you will have a lot more. It is an economical vehicle (I have an automatic turbo diesel). Very manoeuvrable and just as good for commuting. You have the option of more seats if you ned more than two.

Hello,

I looked into the VW Caddy and found a cheaper option - the Renault Kangoo Maxi Crew. Am just waiting for it to be built and shipped to Oz. Can you recommend a service that will help me convert the four cubic metres of cargo space int a comfortable, but safe travelling area for them? For example, where do you get a false floor?

Many thanks,

Planetpink