Pet Insurance

kdf

Just interested in how other people's vets deal with insurance forms.

Do you leave them with the reception staff for the vet to sign and post for you?

Or have the vet sign in consult and post yourself?

At our clinic, we do both. If the. client has filled out their sections, the vet is happy to sign it at the time of consult. If not, the nurses sort it out and get vet to sign later. We are happy to post to the insurance company or back to the client.

I leave the forms with the vet and reception calls me to collect them when they're signed.

I register all paperwork before sending to the Insurance Company. When they say they haven't received my claim I tell them there is a signed form that indicates they do indeed have it. They usually find it very quickly.

Pet insurance is something I have been thinking about. We have one dog. Is it worth getting!? What sort of rebate do insurance companies give? Which company is worth considering .

Birgit

Pet insurance is something I have been thinking about. We have one dog. Is it worth getting!? What sort of rebate do insurance companies give? Which company is worth considering .

Birgit

You need to research the various pet insurance companies. Their product disclosure statement will provide you with the information you're after.

I have two dogs and I think pet insurance is an excellent idea. One of my dogs needed spinal surgery which cost approximately $7000. My excess payment was $250 and after that was deducted from my claim the insurance company reimbursed me 80% of the cost of the surgery.

For us, as it's usually for an ongoing condition, I wait until I have a few paid invoices to claim. I download a claim form and fill in my portion, attach all the invoices plus a stamped, addressed envelope, and leave with the reception staff. They are very prompt at getting the vet portion filled in and mailed off for me. :)

I take a copy of anything I'm claiming, just in case it goes missing in the post.

The emergency vet I've been to insist on mailing the forms themselves which I'm not happy about as I like to know exactly when it gets sent off. With my vet, I usually leave the form with them and collect it when I'm there next...which is frequently as Casper does his treadmill therapy there and we've often picking up meds for him.

I don't think I would ever have a pet without pet insurance again...especially as they approach middle age.