Barf Diet?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I wouldn't feed pet mince to my dogs and I don't think they'd eat it if I did. I have noticed that some people on these forums are feeding it and obviously they have found good suppliers, but IMO the majority of pets mince is rubbish. I have even seen it artificially coloured with food dye to make it look more like meat. Most of it is 95% fat and it also contains preservative.

If you have fed a poor quality pets mince to your dog I'm not surprised that it has upset him, especially if you've suddenly switched his diet. It is far better to do these things slowly to give the digestive system time to adjust. Some dogs can deal with a sudden change in diet, but most can't and animal nutritionists always recommend that any changes are made gradually.

i still feed my baby amstaff puppy food

There is no reason for your puppy not to eat the same sort of diet. The earlier you start the more of a variety of things they learn to eat.

Give your puppy the same diet, make sure it grows slowly but steady.

Start with chicken necks - puppy will also love it.

BTW - DobermanDave rang me yesterday.

His dog vomited as it ate the food and straight after was running followed by heavy drinking.

But now DD knows not to excercise the dog straight after feeding and the potential dangers of it.

Hi DoberDave,

I have always mixed my vegies with chicken mince - which I do myself - chicken breasts mainly. I usually buy 2 Kg as they are always on special and I use about 2 kg every 3 weeks. I also add a small amount of garlic, linseed oil and apple cider vinegar. They eat it all down, no problems. Good luck with it.

Ailsa

yeah you guys are right my litte staffy 7 week old pup ate some of the pet mince i put for my big dog cause he doesnt touch it for some reason and she had ugly wet stools for the first time since i got her so shes back on royal canin untill i go and buy some human grade mince

You can get human grade meat at the pet shop, you just need to order it specifically.

My dog will not the normal pet mince as I believe it contains kidneys and he will simply not touch it.

I order human grade lean beef in 5 or 10kg bags from my pet shop.