Barf Diet?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can do whatever, but i can almost guarantee you that your dog will not eat vegies with no meat in it.

BARF aims to have balance over time not in every meal.

How is it easier to mix?

I buy a box of carcasess one day devide them into meal portiions and freeze.

Another time I might come across cheap fish, so I buy them and freze.

Lamb flaps on special - get them.

I dont go and buy EVERYTHING one day. I guess becouse my freezer isnt big enough and I also like to get the bargains instead of getting specific stuff at high price.

Hiding bits between the meat LOLOL you gotta be kidding, he can manage to spit out bits that are size of half a pea.

My dog will not touch vegies unless they are fully blended with meat to the extend that bits of vegies are smaller than grains of rice, And than it has to be mixed with mince meat but there has to be at least 50% meat in the mixture otherwise he wont eat it.

has to be complete paste of veg and meat otherwise he will rather go hungry for a day.

Edited by myszka

OMG today i started my dogs barf diet he also got hes 3 month worm tablet so i dont know which one it could be but i have given him worm tablets before and nothing like this has happened ...this is what happened i just took him for a walk and in the middle of the footpath e just starts getting violent dioreha and starts splattering golden colored crap everywhere i started to freek out ive never seen him do anything like this before normally he controls hes crappings untill i tell him to do so behind a tree or something..this is very scray he is now lieing down in hes kennel looking depressed and weird ..is this normal when stating the barf diet?

Edited by DobermanDave

It can happen with any change of diet. It can also happen for other reasons too. Perhaps start off with a mix of barf, and the dry food you were feeding before, and gradually change him to the new food over a week or two.

Some pet mince is better than others, it may be that the pet mince you are buying is not a really good one.

Keep an eye on your dog, I hope he's feeling better soon.

Any change in diet better done gradually over 2 weeks....

Not a good idea to worm on such a `new start` day for puppy

Try a gentle intestinal allwormer such as Endoguard

Pup mince from unknown butchers can be just fat from every animal, too rich

Ive also found it most beneficial to start pup off on one meat for 2 weeks at a time

This eliminates bombarding a puppies digestive system and also lets you understand what (if anything) may give the pup diarrohea or allergic reactions?

Everything in moderation til you build a lil iron guts :laugh: and then look up nutrient value and relevant BARF books....for peak performance, theres nothing quite like it

I guess my dog must be weird then because he likes his vegies LOL! Even if it just a chicken wing and vegie meal, he will eat the vegies, they don't have to be mixed. I did mix it with pet chicken mince to start with though.

I am a bit paranoid about bones they can't eat the whole thing of, so mine only get chicken wings and frames and beef brisket bones (can't find turkey necks here, been asking everywhere?).

ok he just vomited it all up now i know why they call it barf i wenbt to some website called barfworld.com and they said to make him fast for one or two days and then do the rapid switch over and feed only barf i might try this if anyone else has done it

No preservatives or too much fat iun what your feeding?

What has been pups staple diet? Stick to what you know doesnt effect him in such an extreme manner and gradually introduce anything new?

Not wise to fast a pup I believe? I`d feed oats/white rice cooked in water (not milk)and a lil bit of human grade mince? If any other problems in general behaviour of the pup....still vomiting and diarhoea...off to the Vet. They dehydrate and can need xtra help quickly.

I would stick to the gradual changeover. It can't hurt your dog.

Perhaps try to find a better grade of mince than pet mince. If you can't afford human mince, then try racing mince.

I agree with RnB, fasting might be dangerous for a puppy, especially one that has vomiting or diarhoea.

I think its kind of weird he threw it up if this was only his first meal of it.

Reason being is alot of people just one day decide to give their dog a plate of table scraps(not comparing barf diet to table scraps, btw) and they don't get sick.. :laugh:

What i mean is, since this is his first meal of the BARF diet... it can be seen as similar to a dog getting a bowl of table scraps one day out of the blue since there was no conversion into changing to the BARF diet..he just got the meal one day out of the blue. He recently had his dog food right? Yesterday..possibly even today? ..does that make sense?

You ever feed him anything besides dog food? Maybe he's just not used to this raw stuff..

*edit* Oh wait..who threw up..the dobe or the puppy?

If its the puppy I take this whole post back..if it's the dobe then my response stands.

Edited by rockstar

Hi there,

I have had my two Dobes on BARF for one year now. I did the rapid change over and had no problems.

Maybe you over fed them. Try feeding three times a day, smaller amounts until they are used to it.

I mix my vegies with mince or cans of pilchards from the supermarket. At first just add a little bit of vegies to the mince or fish, when they eat that then they get their RMBs. It doesnt take long and you can slowly increase the amount of vegies and you want need to mix them anymore.

I do not feed pet mince or any other pet quality food. Pet mince is full of preservatives and that is why i switched to BARF so i know what my dogs are eating. I also do not feed any cereals but i switched because one of my dogs had very bad skin and soft bowel motions. I think he couldnt cope with cereal because now he is soo shiny and healthy. He is 73cm and 40kilos, a liitle too big for a Dobe.

If i can help you in any way please ask.

DobermanDave - I have given you my phone number privatelly with an explanation why I would like to talk to you, and I strongly suggest you call me.

The is just another symptom of what I think he can potentially have.

Plase call me after lunch, this isnt normal.