Buying A Samoyed

gremlin

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is this dog a right fit for us ?

Hi All,

Looking to buy a Samoyed next year January, 2015 Early,

I live in victoria, My Little Bro and I (21 & 16 ) , are dog lovers and having lost our beloved husky last year,

have decided the time has come to get another companion,

We two boys, have our dogs with us where ever we go, in the backyard, while watching tv, on the bed, while playing video games,

and feel like a samoyed is a fit for us, (we are very active, so dont mind excercise is not a problem). We wash and brush our dogs frequently

sometimes mum use to brush the husky daily .. :)

So glad we found this forum: We have a couple of questions hoping you can help :)

- Male or female (Prefer Male if they are more active and easily trained)

- Costs: (we've seen prices as low as $500 and has high as $2000 (need a fair price)

- What to look for (pre-checks) eg: hips, eyes, kidney ?

- Backyard proofing tips (we are planning on putting chook wire on the bottom of fences at angles incase the samoyed digs) ?

- How do they cope with summer heat .. (we have the aircon on, but is heat of victoria a problem) ?

- Some advice on good breaders (no puppy farms**** our husky was rescued from one !! )

- Anything else i should know :)

Happy to pay a deposit if needed :) early

They cope the same as your sibe would have with the heat. Make sure not to shave them and brush regularly as the coat helps insulate from both hot and cold.

The other thing to consider if you are very active, is to be very careful during the warmer months not to exercise your dog too hard as they can over heat.

They cope the same as your sibe would have with the heat. Make sure not to shave them and brush regularly as the coat helps insulate from both hot and cold.

The other thing to consider if you are very active, is to be very careful during the warmer months not to exercise your dog too hard as they can over heat.

Thanks for the tip

We use to drag our overheated husky in a bike cart :) when we used to go cycling loved it sitting in there !!

Male Sammys are bigger and usually more sooky, the females can be more aloof at times. I prefer the boys but they do often have more coat than the girls.

Sammys do have more coat than a sibe do grooming takes a little longer sometimes as well.

They cope with the heat well provided you give them shade and they also love water so little clam shell pools are often popular.

Price wise you're looking at around $1500 - $2000 from a good breeder and you should have hips, elbows, eyes all tested in the parents ( make sure you see the actual official scores and don't trust people on their word. Some breeders lie) and the pups should all have been tested for liver shunts before going to their new homes.

Male Sammys are bigger and usually more sooky, the females can be more aloof at times. I prefer the boys but they do often have more coat than the girls.

Sammys do have more coat than a sibe do grooming takes a little longer sometimes as well.

They cope with the heat well provided you give them shade and they also love water so little clam shell pools are often popular.

Price wise you're looking at around $1500 - $2000 from a good breeder and you should have hips, elbows, eyes all tested in the parents ( make sure you see the actual official scores and don't trust people on their word. Some breeders lie) and the pups should all have been tested for liver shunts before going to their new homes.

Thanks for the info, good idea on the clam pool :) ... can anyone recommend any good breeders ?

or Breeders message me if you have a litter due in Jan

Thanks

gremlin

I have a question. You and your brother who I assume are both still living at home are planning to get a dog, but who gets the dog when you move out?

The life expectancy of a Samoyed is around 13 years and I'm guessing you won't be living with your mum until your 34.

I have a question. You and your brother who I assume are both still living at home are planning to get a dog, but who gets the dog when you move out?

The life expectancy of a Samoyed is around 13 years and I'm guessing you won't be living with your mum until your 34.

Mum & Dad, and little bro haha,

Depending on my family politics :p i might ask for my beloved samoyed as a wedding present ;)

Either way parents are as active as us :)