Cj The Labrador X

Just to refresh your memory

In February this year CJ’s owner was caught in public stamping on his head and kicking him when he was just a defenceless puppy. He was arrested by police and CJ has been safe in the care of Animal Welfare League NSW ever since.

The owner was found guilty of animal cruelty' date=' however despite this the Magistrate found no reason for not returning CJ to his owner.

Animal Welfare League NSW wants to see this decision overturned, and to be awarded custody of CJ.

This will ensure Animal Welfare League NSW can find CJ the loving new family he deserves, where he will be safe from future harm.

We also want to ensure other dogs just like CJ are not placed at the same risk in the future, and are given the protection they deserve following cases of animal abuse and cruelty. Defenceless animals should not be placed back in the hands of those that have harmed them.

CJ deserves a safe loving home with a new family and we are calling for his custody to be awarded to Animal Welfare League NSW.[/quote']

Today they received some devastating news:

"Animal Welfare League NSW is extremely disappointed to announce the outcome of a recent case regarding the beautiful Labrador cross CJ.

AWL had been holding CJ on behalf of NSW police, while the case was brought before Waverly Court, where CJ’s owner was found guilty of animal cruelty. Despite the guilty verdict, during the sentencing the Magistrate found no reason why CJ should not be returned to his owner.

At AWL’s request, NSW Police put forward a request to appeal this decision, but the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions has declined to appeal the Magistrates decision, despite a strong public outcry and the fact that over 10,000 people had signed AWL’s petition to appeal this decision and award custody of CJ to AWL.

Animal Welfare League NSW works tirelessly to protect and care for companion animals who cannot speak for themselves, and this outcome is both surprising and bitterly disappointing.

AWL would like to thank NSW Police for their hard work and for requesting this case be brought to appeal. AWL would also like to thank the media for allowing CJ’s story to be told and most importantly the public for providing a strong and unified voice for CJ.

AWL Inspectors work diligently to rescue animals from cruelty and bring offenders before the courts. Says Damien Thiele, Chief Inspector “Our job is to protect animals and remove them from situations where they are at risk.”

CJ has been in the care of AWL for over six months while this case has been ongoing and the League have fought strongly for the right to rehome CJ to a new, loving family. AWL hopes to see changes in the legal system, so that these types of decisions are not handed down in future.

AWL and NSW Police are bound to comply with the final decision handed down by the Court. AWL will continue to fight for stricter laws and tougher penalties for anyone found guilty of mistreating an animal, so that other animals like CJ are not placed at risk in future.

We strongly believe that animals should not be placed back in the hands of those who have mistreated them.

To voice your concerns over this decision, you can contact the NSW Attorney Generals Department.

I for one am fuming at this decision and have every intention to send them a letter outlining as much.

Congratulations to that magistrate and the DPP for their complete and utter stupidity. :mad:swear: Silly me, I thought they were there to make sure we are all protected from these morons. I wonder if they would have allowed custody again if a HUMAN baby was involved :confused: I think not. :mad

Well said Snippy...

I saw this tonight on the news...surely this can't happen... after AWL save & rehibilitate darling CJ the bloody idiotic judge awardes him straight back into the hands of his abuser :(

PLEASE !!!!! Tell me I'm dreaming...This can't happen!!!!

What can be done to prevent CJ's return to the hands of this monster. Can he somehow go MIA ??????

What can I do? We need to try & help. CJ deserves so much more.

Edited by BC Crazy