Feet Issues

cowanbree

I have an old buy who has had on-going issues with an interdigital cyst for nearly 3years. It got extremely nasty and was constantly infected and the end result was we had to amputate his outside toe. All the infections have cleared up and the foot itself is looking great but because of the issues he has had he isn't walking properly on that foot and is walking on the side of his outside toe. This puts a lot of pressure on the foot and is quite painful which makes him a very lame dog.

I was thinking in people he would be put in corrective shoes that retrain or at least cushion the foot but do we have things like that in dogs? I know there are shoes around but would they work in this instance?

I have an old buy who has had on-going issues with an interdigital cyst for nearly 3years. It got extremely nasty and was constantly infected and the end result was we had to amputate his outside toe. All the infections have cleared up and the foot itself is looking great but because of the issues he has had he isn't walking properly on that foot and is walking on the side of his outside toe. This puts a lot of pressure on the foot and is quite painful which makes him a very lame dog.

I was thinking in people he would be put in corrective shoes that retrain or at least cushion the foot but do we have things like that in dogs? I know there are shoes around but would they work in this instance?

Boots do exist for dogs.

When we lived in the USA, we used them for the Vizslas after the first hunts of the season when their pads were soft.

What breed is your lovely boy?

:)