Help

Tippi

I think too many people have blown this dogs behavior way out of proportion - if the dog was HA/DA it would never have made it out of the Lost Dogs Home. The dog has reactivity issues that just have not found the right way to be dealt with to make them stop after all this time and the dog nipped, note nipped NOT put the tradie in hospital, when confronted with someone alone. Who knows what the tradie did too if the dog took that long to make a fuss. A HA dog doesnt just leave with with a nip on the ankle, and it sure as hell doesnt make it out of somewhere like a shelter. I'm surprised if Tippi bothers coming back.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't profess to be an expert in animal behaviour, but, the dog nipped a tradesman when said tradesman entered the property without the owner being there. Isn't this just protection of the property? I know my dogs protect their property too. Just as an example, years ago our family had a Great Dane who adored our neighbours whenever he came in contact with them, but if the neighbour popped his head over the fence, he would go bezerk. I would hope he wouldn't bite the neighbour but he never had the chance so we never found out. The tradie was quite silly to enter the dog's property without the owner being present.

Surely if this dog is so badly HA, the tradie would have lost his kneecaps coming onto the property? This guy got a nip on the ankle on his way out, AFTER spending a long time getting on with his jobs. This does not sound like a dog that is beyond all help.

My Bella used to hate some men, children and cats. She once nipped a guy on the hand who walked too close to my OH when we were out walking, she didn't break skin but her message was clear. It's when something like this happens that you realise your dog has issues that need to be managed. All our walks from then on were on leash, we stayed clear of other walkers and dogs and only let the dogs off leash if we went to a deserted spot and could see there was nobody around. If nothing else, I knew that if I walked them on my own, she would protect me.

Now that she is gone, Casper and I walk anywhere, anytime. He's in a wheelcart now so almost everybody we pass feels the need to come and pat him, including 3 year olds and he laps up the attention.

I really hope Tippy can get the help she needs in her current home. The OP seems to love this dog so hoping you don't give up on her just yet.