Ear Tip Issue - Treatments And Progress

Erny

For your interest. A series of photos of Mandela's ear tip (eating itself).

This one as at 2nd July. Standard treatment of Lugol's Solution - worked very well in the past, but just didn't seem to be beating it this time. Ignore the white stuff - it's just the sticky from the tape I used to provide protection to the ear (and to try to ease the spattering of blood which still adorns my walls and furniture).

Hoping the sizing of my photo works ok.

post-5887-0-28168100-1410873626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

This one taken on 30th August. Noticed the whole of Mandela's ear flap (not just the tip) swollen, hot and painful. On closer inspection, saw how the skin on the inside was looking decidedly 'wrong'. Longer stretches of area along the side edges of the ear threatening to become a 'wound' (perhaps not visible in this photo) similar to that of the ear tip. Oh, oh ..... visions of possible ear-flap amputation running through my mind, but wondering where that would end up ending :eek: . Cortisone thought of as the first of 'un-natural' possible treatments though, even though my instincts rumble at the thought.

post-5887-0-07392000-1410874747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

When in doubt, get the Calendula Tea out. I've used this before, in earlier incidents of ear-tip flare up, but it didn't seem to do a lot. But this time, I gave it everything I could and hammered it with the Calendula Tea. Made a strong brew and applied, applied, applied, applied, applied ...... as many times through the day/night as I could.

This one taken 31st August, 24 hours after the previous photo. Don't know if you can tell from the photo, but I can tell you that the swelling of the flap had reduced considerably, and the skin, whilst still holding heat, was not as burning hot as it was and the skin appeared 'cleaner' and didn't seem to me as though it was about to implode.

post-5887-0-72652600-1410874972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

This one on 15th September. Yep, I'm still working on it, although the applications of Calendula Tea are down to a few a day. Notice the ear tip 'wound' improvement and also notice the hair beginning to regrow and the skin looking less 'infected' (by whatever). This is the latest photo I have. I'm still working on it as, whilst there is a fantastic improvement, I don't feel we're out of the woods or out of danger yet.

But no wonder I'm such a "Calendula Tea" fan. Just had to bombard whatever it was that (I presume) was threatening to secondary skin infection and explosion to bigger and even more alarming issues.

post-5887-0-40195000-1410875193_thumb.jpg

Thats amazing Erny. Your poor dog. That ear was such a mess. It looked so darn sore. Poor fella has certainly been through a dreadful time with his skin issues :(

You have worked wonders with him. He is so very fortunate to have you :)

I am a huge Calendula Tea convert. Marvelous stuff. I wouldn't of believed it unless I saw it myself.

Amazing!!!

I brought some from my local health shop but I'm in need of some more. Fellow Doler Steve is the person who sells it online isn't he Erny?

Fellow Doler Steve is the person who sells it online isn't he Erny?

Yes - that's where I get my CT from these days. Cheaper, but also good quality. I always keep one packet ahead of myself, so it is constantly in the pantry ready for use when required. For anyone.

Yes - I feel for him too. But dogs are how dogs are and regardless of the discomfort it can cause when it's at it's worst, he's still excited and up for all and any walks, runs, outings , etc he can get his paws on and continues to try to nag me for a game of tug or other active interaction. He's much happier now. When I began to attack this problem with the calendula, he was quite happy to stand comfortably and still, letting me thoroughly drench and cleanse his ear flap skin with it. More recently, he would rather escape it (he doesn't like to be wet). A big indicator to me that he's telling me he doesn't feel the need for it so much.

I love silver products for wound and burns treatment, especially the Acticoat silver dressings, but they are pricey! Even good old Flamazine/silvazine can still be pretty useful, depending on the circumstances obviously. The Skybright product looks interesting, I'll have to order some! Does it stay on the skin well? I find some Manuka honey products can be very sticky and drippy and end up everywhere except the wound lol. Since this is a cream it sounds good though...

Erny give this stuff a dog http://healthpost.com.au/skybright-colloidal-silver-cream.html

It's incredible stuff, I've used it on my own face to test it and on my dogs

Thanks. Have used Colloidal Silver (suspension, not cream) in the past but it wasn't enough. I still have some in the pantry though, as it is quite good for (I find) the somewhat less aggressive issues.

Edited by Erny

Mandela's ear flap and ear tip - photo as at today (26th September). Using Calendula Tea applications anywhere from 1-2 times daily over past week. Heat has gone and the swelling at the end of the tip (more visible when viewed from the end) has and is reducing considerably. The ear flap itself is not painful to handle. The ear tip can be handled easily, but is (understandably) a little bit tender.

post-5887-0-14007600-1411702708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

Thanks Yonjuro. Both myself and Mandela are happier. I'm rapt with the results achieved by the Calendula Tea. When he was a youngster, the ear tip problem began as a small angry pimple. Had no idea back then of what lay in front of Mandela, as this was before I identified digestive issues/food sensitivities. Vet gave antibiotic ointment for it but did not have a good reaction to it. Thank goodness for CT :D.

Thanks Yonjuro. Both myself and Mandela are happier. I'm rapt with the results achieved by the Calendula Tea. When he was a youngster, the ear tip problem began as a small angry pimple. Had no idea back then of what lay in front of Mandela, as this was before I identified digestive issues/food sensitivities. Vet gave antibiotic ointment for it but did not have a good reaction to it. Thank goodness for CT :D.

I like your posts, there is always something great to learn and store in the memory bank.

FWIW my Doggie medical/health kit basically consists of

Calendula Tea

Slippery Elm

Turmeric

Coconut Oil

Probiotics

TA 39 Jarrah Honey

High Potency Vitamin C (for dogs)

Lucas Paw Paw ointment

Betadine

3% Hydrogen Peroxide

So far the only thing I have needed to take Ronin to the vet for was removal of an undescended testicle and Vaccinations. I did however have him fully checked out at the appointments before the surgery and a good checkout while he was under. Interestingly the vet was very interested in Calendula Tea and also AA Superboost after he commented positively of his condition, and asked me what I did that his coat, teeth, eyes and weight were all in such good condition!

All good stand-by stuff to have on hand, Yonjuro. Can get your dog out of trouble quickly by having things on the ready, and potentially save the necessity for Vet treatment.

My dog coughed a bit today, that gagging type of cough. After I heard it a few times this morning, gave him a dose of Active Manuka Honey. Was it Canine Cough? Possibly not. Was it something caught in his throat (like a grain of food or some such)? Maybe. Either way, I haven't heard him gag/cough since. And he loved the honey 'treat'. So absolutely no harm done, and possibly good :D .