Anal Sphincter Disfunction

baileyb

Hi all

My very fit and very healthy 13yo ESS has over the last few months displayed lack of bowel control on numerous occasions and although the vet has found nothing medically wrong, she has put it down to an age related anal sphincter issue.

Although it is happening on a more regular basis, it is not a huge issue for me but seems to upset him quite badly so I'd be very open to hear of how anyone else has handled this situation.

In the last six months he has gone from emptying out where he thinks no-one can see him and being very private to a case now where he has gone when he is asleep and then rushed outside emptying on the way!!

He has never had any medical issues and is strong in the rear end. We walk everyday, he swims and still chases a ball.

Love to hear of your thoughts and experiences.

Liz

Edited by baileyb

:(

perhaps change his food over to a very low residue food - ie: one with lots of easily digested meat /very little grain . That way , poo is smaller and drier ..and may make things easier . Also - make sure he has lots of opportunities to be taken out ..this is up to you now .. treat him as a puppy again. my old boy went this way in his final stretch of life ... management did make it a bit easier for us all ....

Thanks for your reply persephone.

Sorry! I neglected to say in my original post that my dogs have a BARF diet and there is very little waste, which is a huge bonus as he practically poops pebbles.

It makes pick up a hell of a lot easier!

Something I'd strongly consider is researching for natural supplements to assist. It is surprising how many things nature can provide which can make differences to things that even medical science cannot. Maybe even supplements to assist in strengthening the sphincter muscle.