Jrt X Limp....... Advice Needed?

Kellyzz

Id have to agree that despite the vet consult it could still be a luxating patella issue. I have had literally dozens of dogs on my grooming table over the years who have awful luxation to the point where the ligament pops in and out just with very benign handling during grooming. I speak to the owners, who often return on the next grooming visit telling me thay saw the vet and the vet says nothing is wrong. Pretty odd to me when I pop their knees during grooming doing virtually nothing ie lifting the leg off the ground to trim under the foot. The hop skip jump gait is really common with luxating knee issues. Often the groove that the ligament across the joint sits in is too shallow, and even quite normal movements can see the ligament pop out of the groove. That is when the dog will raise the leg and do the hop skip. A few more steps and often it pops back in and off they go. Depending on the severity whether any intervention is recommended. I do see a lot of dogs with this issue go on to do a cruciate injury at some stage due to the instability in the joint I guess.

Yep what Gruff said, I have also groomed many dogs who have luxated a kneecap while I have liftted a leg to clip/trim. I would consider another opinion if the problem continues and the vet doesn't find anything. Around 12 to 14 months is not an uncommon age for it to become a noticable issue. It is very typical for them to be walking/troting along, hold a back leg up and skip a stride - or more - put the foot down and continue to go along normally. Sometimes they may skip and put the foot down a few times until it goes back.