Very Fussy Eater.

Dobermanic

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I would like to ask if anyone has any advice on feeding a very fussy dog.

I have an 11 month old Dobermann. I feed her mainly a natural raw diet ( vets all natural and BARF) she also has Holistic Select dry food.

Lately she has been refusing to eat anything more than once. I have tried adding Show Stopper to her food for flavour. She like it a few times but now is not interested.

She will eat if she has to work for it. If I ask her to do a trick or obidence routine then use the food as a treat she will take it but only from my hand and not the bowl.

I have been told to just let her go hungry and she will eat eventually but I don't want her to lose condition. She is a good weight but is quite active. I was thinking maybe it's the heat or prehaps she is going through a naughty teenage phase and testing me.

I would be greatful for any tips as I am throwing out more food than she is eating lol.

Thank you.

I would suggest getting a full blood test first to see if anything is going on with her health.

Yes a very sound suggestion.

I will add the question......are there any other dogs in the household? Changing dynamics among a group of dogs, no matter how subtle, can really throw a young dog especially. Make sure the dog is in a secure relaxed environment where other dogs can't influence the feeding decisions this dog is making. If it is the only dog, be sure not to hover, watch or push too hard for an eating result. Chuck the food in the bowl, yawn, look around and walk away. Resist the urge to coach the dog to eat.

Edited by GrufLife

Awesome advice from the other people already but I would ask also could she be coming into season soon? That will affect appetite.

I do sympathise as I have a young dog (male though) who could really not care less whether he ate every day or not! I show him so losing too much weight is not good. Interestingly he had a good appetite at first but it came on in adolescence, he would have been around 8-9 months when it became a problem. I have never had a fussy dog so did the 'tuff love' thing, let him go without, ...... he went for 3 full days without eating a thing :eek: He could not care less, did not care if I gave the food to my other dog, did not hover in the kitchen looking for something 'better', just did not care. And yes, he sure got on the thin side. Several show judges commented that he could 'use an extra kilo or 3' :cry: . Needless to say, he had a full vet check, blood panel, urine and faecal tests, all fine.

He does have some food sensitivities which caused bowel problems (can't eat chicken or roo) so I often wonder if this plays a part.

He is now 2 years old - what works for him is just leaving his food down over night, he will eat about half around 9-10pm and usually the rest is gone by morning. I have taught my other dog not to touch this dog's food. Both my dogs sleep inside the house. I know this is not ideal for most people and I would rather not do it either but he now eats every day and maintains a good weight so I am happy.

Gruflife's post about not making eating a 'big deal' is VERY important!

Thanks for the advice. It is frustrating! She would happily eat what ever we are having but I am not giving her my veggie mite toast lol. She had a season in September so wouldn't be that.

I now see I have been making a mistake by hand feeding her and making a fuss. Tough love it is from now on and fingers crossed that will do the trick.

Holistic Select (and Canidae) actually spray the probiotic onto the kibble after extruding. Canidae has an excellent mix they use which we've found has helped many "funny" tummy dogs. They've tested the live bacteria even at the foods best by date to ensure that it is viable.

Sags

If she's a good weight and active then that's a good sign. As said, perhaps she's coming into season or it might be the heat.

Get her a blood test if you're concerned, or it might be a dental problem? Is she more inclined to eat the raw food than the kibble?

Interesting you should say that Sagittarian as I have just started trying my boy on Canidae (Pure Sea, as he is good with fish). Only started introducing it this week so very early days for him. From past experience I know I need to spend 2 - 3 weeks introducing a new food before I know whether it suits him.

I agree with the food sensitivity issue, I strongly suspect it is all related. I have tried several probiotics - unfortunately they are all powders and he won't touch the food with it added, tried PAWS and another one which I can't remember. Also gave Innerhealth Plus capsules daily for many months but don't think it did anything.

If he tolerates the Canidae then I will be very happy :thumbsup:

I have worked out the problem. She is having a false pregnancy. I noticed awhile ago that her mammary glands were swollen I did mention it to the vet last time we were there. She is now lactating a bit. I have noticed she is quite sooky and a bit out of sorts. She is still eating chicken wings and had a bit of K9 naturals last night so I'm glad she is getting some nutrients.

How long will it last for?

Glad to hear about the probiotics being sprayed on she has always done well on Holistic. She has the grain free fish one.