Puppy Barking

maybel

thank you to everybody for your helpful comments (and for the link to the behaviouralist - will be saving that in case we need it!). We spoke with our neighbours and they were all OK - seems we heard more than they did, although I agree that barking is not going to be tolerated as he will get louder as he gets bigger. He actually settled last night without any noise but I am exploring "inside" sleeping arrangements for him based on all the comments. I must admit I was a bit surprised that I was seen as being unkind having him sleep outside - we know a lot of people with dogs and none of them sleep inside so I thought this was normal (and all our previous dogs have slept outside). However, I am open minded and the comments have given me a lot to think about so thank you.

we know a lot of people with dogs and none of them sleep inside so I thought this was normal

I guess it's normal for most working dogs I know. And some dogs that are big hairy and smelly (tho hairy and smelly could be sorted by the owner).

Most of the dog obsessed - who are into dog training, dog clubs and competing with their dogs - show, agility, dances with dogs, sledding (with scooters), etc - their dogs sleep inside with them.

In Europe and some parts of North America where they get snow and ice in winter - even fewer dogs are left outside - unless the dog was bred for it. It's a bit unclear from the info websites - whether the dog would have slept with its people or not - two of the history pages say "herding and guard dog" - so barking at "unfamiliar things" would be common - hence you'd have to be clear with the dog about what is ok to bark at (strange people) and not so much (possums). Not sure where you stand about evicting cats from your yard in the middle of the night. I'm all for it - tho lots of barking isn't necessary for this.

I imagine a few lappies would be really handy on what drovers would call "7 dog nights".

As long as the dog gets plenty of human interaction and isn't left alone and neglected in the back yard - you could do it. You might want to provide somewhere cool for the dog to be when the temps stay over 25 in the night eg summer. Easier to do that inside with the A/C.

I have hairy & big BC's, but not smelly MRB :laugh: & mine have always slept inside & in any weather extreme hot, cold or storm they are inside. I don't believe puppies/dogs should suffer any of the elements nor be outside at night IMHO.

Also they want to feel part of the family & included in pretty much everything that goes on.

JulesP that is an excellent set up you had going on there :thumbsup:

Maybel, Good to hear that you are exploring indoor sleeping arrangements for your little one. I think thats where he needs to be & bet he will be quiet as a church mouse once he gets into that routine. Puppies love a regular schedule.

Edited by BC Crazy