Pet Blood Banks

If anyone has a healthy pet the pet blood banks are looking for donors. It is really important that these blood banks have blood available so that if a sick animal needs blood they have it on hand. Earlier this year a bullmastiff who had been poisoned spent two weeks in hospital and he was saved as a result of the blood he received. We had to do a special call for blood for him as there was limited supply at the time.

Please consider helping with this if you can. A list of blood banks is available. The procedure is very simple and the animals taking part are not harmed. A video will be online soon showing the process.

Pet Blood Banks

Edited by smiley4444

Thank you for the link.

I will add it to my files.

I was lucky enough to have a fine Vizsla boy who was used to donate blood. He gave about 4 times. I think he had a crush on one of the Vet nurses.

With the new puppy, it's an option I am going to consider as well.

:)

Thank you for the link.

I will add it to my files.

I was lucky enough to have a fine Vizsla boy who was used to donate blood. He gave about 4 times. I think he had a crush on one of the Vet nurses.

With the new puppy, it's an option I am going to consider as well.

:)

The blood banks are important and many pet owners dont even know they exist.

In the video we used my greyhound and omg what a hoot. She just lays there with head on pillow and when it is done up she gets, has a snack and away we go. No fuss just in a days work :) Actually it is close to be due to go again. Hopefully I get the video up soon so people know what is involved. The worst thing for her was the noise of the razor that shaved her, as that she wasnt use to.

The blood banks are important and many pet owners dont even know they exist.

In the video we used my greyhound and omg what a hoot. She just lays there with head on pillow and when it is done up she gets, has a snack and away we go. No fuss just in a days work :) Actually it is close to be due to go again. Hopefully I get the video up soon so people know what is involved. The worst thing for her was the noise of the razor that shaved her, as that she wasnt use to.

That buzz of the razor would spook Gabor as well.

But the lure of food rewards made him a brave dog.

He was donor to a friend's bitch. The bitch whelped 13 puppies and was fading fast. His donation saved her life and thus the puppies.

I try to let non-doggy friends about these lesser known matters.

Friends in the bush have also helped their local Vet when a dog got bitten by a snake.

Its good to put the word out to everyone. The blood can be needed for so many different ailments. The mastiff I referred to in the original post was poisoned by the Cheese Tree and he would have died without the blood. His owner was so grateful to the dogs that dashed in to the emergency when we called for help.

Oh bugger, just got all excited about this and read that a dog cannot donate if they have travelled out of their state... or at least that is what it specifies for Victorian dogs

:(

Sorry would have loved to have helped. I own an older dog that has received several transfusions years ago and we would love to give back now with our younger one.