Crate Games Question

So I started Crate Games about a month ago. I really just wanted to use it as we are getting a new pup in 2 weeks and I want our current dog (Jager) to be comfortable in his crate so I could send him to "bed" and train the new pup without him wandering around/causing distractions or playing alone for treats.

So far he is doing really well but I find that he takes himself to bed (when we aren't training) quite a lot, which is fine, but he then expects treats. On the DVD you train so that if the dog doesn't have a job when released he should take himself back to the crate and you treat him for doing so. Well that is what he is doing but obviously I am not going to treat him all the time.

What do I do? The crate is in the lounge room and I like that he will happily take himself to bed when he wants to. But is it counter training if I am not treating him for doing it when we aren't "playing the game"?

Once you have put it on cue...(I use "In your box"), you should only need to treat when you cue it. I quite understand it is very hard NOT to treat something that your dog is offering that is good & I fall for the trap quite often, with offered "learned" behaviours. So if I say "in your box" & the dog runs in & lays down, I will treat every time. But if I havn't actually cued it, then I don't treat. Does that make sense :confused:

Once you have put it on cue...(I use "In your box"), you should only need to treat when you cue it. I quite understand it is very hard NOT to treat something that your dog is offering that is good & I fall for the trap quite often, with offered "learned" behaviours. So if I say "in your box" & the dog runs in & lays down, I will treat every time. But if I havn't actually cued it, then I don't treat. Does that make sense :confused:

Perfect sense. And exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!