2 Year Old Staffy Problem

Staffy26

Hello

I dont mean to jump over your topic staffy26 but we are having the same issue with one of our boys. We have 3 lowchen boys, 2 are almost 2years and 1 is almost 3years. One of the 2 year olds cocks his leg inside all the time, although only when no one is watching. They are all de sexed and are toilet trained. He goes outside for pee's when he needs, even in the middle of the night. But for some reason he likes to pee on the legs of furniture and chairs, even our daughters dona last night. We have tired piss off spray to no avail. We know for sure it is this guy as we set up a camera and caught him.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have heard about the belly band idea but not sure if it will work with us as we have 3 dogs and they come and go inside and out as they please.

I am very found of this little guy but hubby has had enough, please help before he gets sent back to the breeder :(

Thanks

Hello

I dont mean to jump over your topic staffy26 but we are having the same issue with one of our boys. We have 3 lowchen boys, 2 are almost 2years and 1 is almost 3years. One of the 2 year olds cocks his leg inside all the time, although only when no one is watching. They are all de sexed and are toilet trained. He goes outside for pee's when he needs, even in the middle of the night. But for some reason he likes to pee on the legs of furniture and chairs, even our daughters dona last night. We have tired piss off spray to no avail. We know for sure it is this guy as we set up a camera and caught him.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have heard about the belly band idea but not sure if it will work with us as we have 3 dogs and they come and go inside and out as they please.

I am very found of this little guy but hubby has had enough, please help before he gets sent back to the breeder :(

Thanks

All of the comments have suggested retraining toilet training. Use lots of praise when they go outside.

Take the dog out after meals, after naps and every half hour or so and praise like crazy when they pee outside.

I use a command to get mine to pee. Right before bed I say 'do you need to go outside'. If he does, he will get up - then when I say 'pee', he does. He gets a treat and a loads of praise if he pees on command.

It takes time and dogs really are creatures of habit. If they have been doing it and getting away with it, they will continue to do it until you train them otherwise.

Basically you are going to start from the beginning with the toilet training..

Belly bands will save the clean up in the mean time.

If your dogs have free access to inside and outside, you might want to limit 'the dog with the problem' and his access to the areas that he pees inside.

Hi guys, thanks for all your input and replies....

He has been toilet trained since he was about 10-11weeks old.... He hasn't done a wee inside until 2 weeks ago and now he has done it every 2 or 3 days.

I have him pretty much wee on command outside since he was a pup so he knows what to do... I think the most accurate comment is that he may have "matured" and wanting to mark his territory.

He is not desexed, reason being is the breeder we got him from may want to use him in her breeding program down the track. He is from one of the best bloodlines in australia, within the show scene. If he is not used, I'll definitely love to get him to have a litter and keep a pup. He is the best, we'll natured dog that my partner and I have decided we want our future dogs to be a product of him

Thanks again for all your suggestions I think I'll just have to as most have said, pretty much toilet train him again in a sense

Daniel

I realise he was probably already toilet trained, as in your first post you said this was a new behaviour.

He has learned a new trick (cocking his leg) and he needs to be reminded of his toilet training - it probably won't take long to retrain him.

Out to the loo first thing in the morning, after napping, after meals and before bed at night. If he is totally an inside dog, you will need to make more regular trips as well. Give him a 'pee' command (or choose something you prefer) and reward like crazy when he does it. Lots of praise and treats.

The belly band that others have mentioned is a great idea as well.

Dogs can be like people - sometimes they need to be reminded of their manners :)

this above plus a vet check for an UTI would not go astray ..just incase. but is sounds like the leg lift is not being associated with his previous toilet training...

H

Praise him when he pees outside.

When he does it inside, hold his nose in it and scold him severely. May not be PC, but works.

Rubbing a dog's nose in his urine just encourages more anxiety. It is completely unnecessary.

Agree (i.e. increases anxiety) and the action of rubbing the dog's nose in it does not pair with the soiling action and the fact that the action was done inside. We (humans) tend to presume so much of what a dog will take into account when we punish in such ways. Rubbing a dog's nose in its excrement as an intended means to toilet training has also tracked back in cases to :

1. Aggression

2. The dog hiding where it soils.

Don't do it.

To the OP - if your dog is now cocking his leg inside this could correlate to a dominance/territory instinct, rather than a toilet training issue. Check your leadership stance (i.e. your relationship with your dog, which should be a healthy, respectful relationship on both sides) and be mindful of what you're using to clean up the soiling with, being careful to avoid ammonia based solutions. Go back to toilet-training strategies - mainly the one of vigilance and supervision - and remind your dog that any indication he's about to soil inside will gain your disapproval. Send him outside and when he soils there, reward. Clean up his mess in his absence to avoid him potentially perceiving you identify some importance/value of his (inappropriate) urination.

Edited by Erny