2 Year Old Staffy Problem

Staffy26

Hi, I'm just looking for some suggestions to rectify an issue that has only recently begun!

I have a 2 year old male staffy, which until recently has never cocked his leg when he has done a wee. It is la brand new thing he has worked out although mostly he still just squats.

Since he first lifted his leg we now have a problem with his doing it and weeing inside on the leg of the dining table, on the basket of folded washing and now on the kitchen cupboard doors...

Just wondering if anyone has some tips to stop him from doing this as I know others would have had the same problem!

Thanks, Daniel

hi :)

is your dog desexed?

he sounds as if he has matured , and is now 'showing off'...and marking his territory .

My suggestion would be to NOT give him any free time inside - he is to be on lead , with a human at all times .

Take him outside each hour or so.. and encourage him to pee ... BIG rewards when he does :)

When he pees - use a cue word of your choosing ... say it as he is peeing at first ...then as he starts, then when he's sniffing/looking - until hearing that word will be his signal to pee ;)

What obedience/training have you & he done?

Hey Daniel

My Dally did this at 9 months. Simple solution is to revert to puppy toilet training. Outside every 15-30 min, give them a command for peeing and reward like crazy (food and play!) when they do it then bring them back inside. No unsupervised wandering about the house. Clean any pee with a good quality enzymatic commercial spray such as Urine Off - there are other brands but this one is the best in my opinion. I have an entire bitch here also and Zig would never pee inside but certainly asks to go outside to mark his territory. He's a HUGE marker too...to the point where I use it as a reward for an awesome agility run or recall etc :D

Guest crazydoglady99

Also (some great advice above), you could get a belly bad - so that even if he does lift his leg inside you'll catch the wee!!!

Hey Daniel

My Dally did this at 9 months. Simple solution is to revert to puppy toilet training. Outside every 15-30 min, give them a command for peeing and reward like crazy (food and play!) when they do it then bring them back inside. No unsupervised wandering about the house. Clean any pee with a good quality enzymatic commercial spray such as Urine Off - there are other brands but this one is the best in my opinion. I have an entire bitch here also and Zig would never pee inside but certainly asks to go outside to mark his territory. He's a HUGE marker too...to the point where I use it as a reward for an awesome agility run or recall etc :D

Yep agree with TSD - retrain toilet training.

Urine Off is great for cleaning up and getting rid of the smells that keep bringing him back to pee on the same things.

Good luck, he is a staffy, so it shouldn't be hard to teach him again :)

Hi guys, thanks for all your input and replies....

He has been toilet trained since he was about 10-11weeks old.... He hasn't done a wee inside until 2 weeks ago and now he has done it every 2 or 3 days.

I have him pretty much wee on command outside since he was a pup so he knows what to do... I think the most accurate comment is that he may have "matured" and wanting to mark his territory.

He is not desexed, reason being is the breeder we got him from may want to use him in her breeding program down the track. He is from one of the best bloodlines in australia, within the show scene. If he is not used, I'll definitely love to get him to have a litter and keep a pup. He is the best, we'll natured dog that my partner and I have decided we want our future dogs to be a product of him

Thanks again for all your suggestions I think I'll just have to as most have said, pretty much toilet train him again in a sense

Daniel

Hi guys, thanks for all your input and replies....

He has been toilet trained since he was about 10-11weeks old.... He hasn't done a wee inside until 2 weeks ago and now he has done it every 2 or 3 days.

I have him pretty much wee on command outside since he was a pup so he knows what to do... I think the most accurate comment is that he may have "matured" and wanting to mark his territory.

He is not desexed, reason being is the breeder we got him from may want to use him in her breeding program down the track. He is from one of the best bloodlines in australia, within the show scene. If he is not used, I'll definitely love to get him to have a litter and keep a pup. He is the best, we'll natured dog that my partner and I have decided we want our future dogs to be a product of him

Thanks again for all your suggestions I think I'll just have to as most have said, pretty much toilet train him again in a sense

Daniel

I realise he was probably already toilet trained, as in your first post you said this was a new behaviour.

He has learned a new trick (cocking his leg) and he needs to be reminded of his toilet training - it probably won't take long to retrain him.

Out to the loo first thing in the morning, after napping, after meals and before bed at night. If he is totally an inside dog, you will need to make more regular trips as well. Give him a 'pee' command (or choose something you prefer) and reward like crazy when he does it. Lots of praise and treats.

The belly band that others have mentioned is a great idea as well.

Dogs can be like people - sometimes they need to be reminded of their manners :)

When we moved to this house the smell of dog was everywhere and the carpets were foul. I didn't even chance it but went straight back to toilet training 101 as I could tell Zig was anxious about marking his territory. Literally let him sniff inside for 5 min then took him outside to pee. Rinse and repeat. Crated or outside when I couldn't supervise and he was perfectly fine within 24-48 hours. He was perfectly toilet trained in our old house.

Praise him when he pees outside.

When he does it inside, hold his nose in it and scold him severely. May not be PC, but works.

The tone of your voice and 'manhandling' is what scares the dog ..you could hold his nose on a flower in teh carpet , and have a similar effect . ;) MUCH better to train the RIGHT thing :)

When he does it inside, hold his nose in it and scold him severely. May not be PC, but works.

Not recommended for any dog and certainly not a Stafford. They thrive with a firm but kind hand, praise and working out what drives them/makes them tick

That kind of attitude to a dog going to the toilet in the house is archaic. If a dog toilets in the house it's YOUR fault, not the dog's

That is the stupidest advice I have ever read on this forum. Any normal person would not call that training, they would call it cruelty.

Wow. I thought the 'Flat Coat Retrievers don't have enough jaw strength to break the skin' comment was bad enough but this is so much worse. Please don't dispense any dog advice to anyone.

To the OP I also agree with going back to the basics with toilet training and he shouled figure it out. Do everything possible to set him up for success to prevent him from cooking inside but if he does and you catch him in the act (never after! ), you can interrupt him with a loud clap and an 'uh uh!' And move him outside to finish. Of course praise galore when he goes outside. Good luck!