Bad Dog!

Stressmagnet

I could grab my beagle by the scruff of the neck and scream in her face and she wouldn't bat an eye lid, much less care remotely that I am yelling at her. She doesn't have enormous pack drive and she also has super solid nerves so she isn't easy startled.

I agree with those who have suggested stricter management and training the dog to do something else (even if you just call them over to you). However. When it is something like counter surfing where the dog has learnt that behaviour is rewarding, short of management, the behaviour won't become extinct unless the dog learns it is no longer rewarding. generally this is when using an aversive can come in handy. Remember that the dog decides what it finds aversive, not us. So if yelling doesn't deter his behaviour it means he doesn't find it aversive enough to motivate change.

If he has a good mat/place command, you could try telling him to go to his bed and lie on it if you think he's going to be silly. Personally though I wouldn't have a young dog in the house loose until it has learnt correct manners. My high drive working dog knows if I let her out of her crate (she will stay in there even if the door is open) that she needs to come and sit with me or lie at my feet and that's it. If I tell her to go back in her crate she will (even if it's on the other side of the house) and she will stay there until I call her out again.

Edited by huski