Obstacle Markers

sheena

I have made these obstacle markers for agility, but I am worried that the black vinyl contact that I have used for the numbers might peel off :( I have left some out in the weather for a couple of weeks & so far, so good, but they are lifting in places. I bought the contact from Bunnings. Does anybody know of where I can get Black Contact, as I am not very happy with the Bunnings product. It was even starting to separate before I even cut into the sheet. You can see in the photo where it is bubbling, mainly where the yellow marker has a ridge.

P1020699_zps7nsmi2j9.jpg

Edited by sheena

If I can't find a sign writer to sell be some of his vinyl, then I will use the special pen we use to write on the cattle tags. It's better than a texta & is very permanent. I just did one with it & it is OK, but not as good as the vinyl. But maybe I just need to practice & get a steadier hand :laugh:

or get a sign writer to make up the numbers for you so you can just peel off and stick down

Yeah...I am trying to do it on the cheap as I have about 60 to make. But it's worth asking...good idea. I already have the stencil, that's what I made the ones in the photo with.

Get some number stencils and paint with an outdoor weatherproof paint?

That's what I have got. Number stencils & if I can't find the right vinyl, then I am going to do them with the Texta type pen that is a special one for writing on the cattle ear tags....it's more like a paint in a pen. It would be a bit hard to hold the stencil & paint at the same time, as the thing I am putting the numbers on is round & tapered. But thanks :)

Would using blue tack on the stencil so you're free to hold the texts help?

Excellent idea...I don't have any bluetack, but I stuck it on with sticky tape & it was a much quicker job :) I don't think I will bother now with the vinyl. I just need to go to the produce store & buy a few of these cattle marker pens

You already have the numbers on there just trace around with the cattle pen and then peel the contact off, voila! colour inside the lines lol

Spray markers are quite average on plastic it's not porous and too smooth. If you rough it up with sand paper first and get a matt finish paint it will work better if you go the stencil route but not as well as the cattle marker.