Balance On My Feet?

I tried to find a google image of it but came up with nothing, you know the trick where a human lays on their back and puts their feet in the air and dog balances on their feet? I want to attempt that!

Nova can balance quite well on things, on chairs, on wobble boards, on small platforms, on a fitness ball. I'm not sure how to get him to get on to my feet in that position.

I gave it a quick go this morning and was able to get him to put his front paws up on my feet, have to say I found the rewarding and putting him back in to place a bit awkward in the that position laugh.gif

I'm thinking I'm going to have to put a target in the "take off" position.

Has anyone else had success with this trick? How did you teach it?

Hey Lisa

I would probably teach it on another surface/target first, that is a similar height/width and make sure that's super proficient on command (including testing it on different objects). Then I would transfer that to my feet.

Hey Lisa

I would probably teach it on another surface/target first, that is a similar height/width and make sure that's super proficient on command (including testing it on different objects). Then I would transfer that to my feet.

Hmm I was thinking that. Maybe use a bit of non slip matting as the target. I thought something solid could be dangerous when getting to the transfering to feet part?

Once ready to move to your feet could you use a board there first (with non slip mating attached) then go smaller until your feet are last? It might make it easier for you to distribute the dogs weight when he first jumps up?

Also when ready to move to your feet (or board) could someone actually lift the dog into position first so he can see that's the position you want?

(Sorry if they're silly ideas).

Any ideas help :)

Having a second person would definitely help! I can see it being a lot easier having a second person as the initial 'prop' actually laugh.gif

But I live alone at the moment so that's not really do able.

I haven't done this one, but I have done a back stall, which is similar in a lot of ways. It took months to get it, and most of that time was either convincing my dog that I seriously really and truly did actually want him to jump ON MY BACK like some kind of freak, and trying to reward in place, which was very challenging when he was mostly just popping off again right away and I couldn't see what he was doing. I think it would help to break it down into skills your dog needs. He has the required balancing skill. He also needs to be able to grasp the concept of putting all four feet on you. If he hasn't done that before, I would maybe try a position with your shins as the contact point instead of your feet, or even start with front feet on your knees and back feet on the tops of your feet on the ground and slowly start lifting your feet. It will be easier to reward in position and teach him the general concept of four feet on you (which seemed to freak my dog out a fair bit). I would avoid a board on you because of stability issues. They have to learn what it feels like and how to balance themselves, and a board on flesh or shoes is way different to flesh or shoes. A target or "up" cue would be helpful to tell the dog where you want them to go. I used our "up" cue that means to jump onto an object and a hand target as best I could, while making myself low to the ground. It took ages for him to join the dots between "up" "target" and "human platform". If my partner cued him "up" onto my back, he went right up first go because it was a context he understood, but signalling from a strange position in a strange, ambiguous way, and sending him behind me was hard for him to put together. On top of balancing skills and four feet on human concept, he also needed to understand me signalling a target behind me that he would never be able to reach, and "up" without the usual additional cues of face and pointing. It was a deceptively complicated trick for something that is so simple and easy now that he knows what the behaviour is.

The only reason I haven't tried the foot one is because I don't think my core is strong enough! And I don't especially want a 13kg ball of muscle falling onto my stomach, which is almost certainly going to happen, because my dog is over-eager and isn't always responsive to the "settle down and think about what you're doing, please" coaching from me.

That gives me some great ideas thanks Corvus! You've nailed what made my initial try so difficult I think. I like the idea of trying shins and top of feet. thumbsup1.gif

He has an "up" cue already, I think I will also combine huskies idea of proofing that on heaps of different obstacles on what ever we can find.

He's got a small cough at the moment so I'm playing it safe incase it's a minor bout of KC and keeping him locked away inside and in the backyard, so I'll spend the next few weeks finding/making props laugh.gif

I thought of trying a back stall first but I actually have pretty good core strength and a shitty back so thought this would be easier on me laugh.gif

Edited by LisaCC