Toilet Training An 8Week Old Puppy

Willowlane

Pretty much what suziwong66 said: you said your pup was being distracted by the environment, introducing the leash to limit the pups range will reduce distraction by the environment. Will putting a leash on your puppy make it wee? No, but it will put you in control of what else it can do.

^ this.

I sort of assumed you'd tackle leash training and pee training at the same time. I'd forgotten how confusing I can be before I've had 3 coffees, sorry.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until I train loose leash walking I prefer to always have the pup on a harness, with the long line attached to the harness, if I need to use a leash. I still have my pup on a harness and long line every time I take her out.

I also don't toilet pups overnight - I haven't found it necessary, but if I were to take them out overnight I would calmly take them outside and give the toileting command (I use 'go outside') then praise/reward when they do go. I have also found once you reward the pup for toileting on command that makes it so much easier. My pup at 4.5 months still toilets as soon as I put her outside and will go when I say 'go outside'.