Jumping On Kids

Ashling

My 1 year old Labrador hasn't had a lot of experience with children. On leash I have him trained to walk right by them, including prams and bikes, without looking at them. But I'm not so sure off leash.

Today at the beach it was quiet but there was a small child running around on the dog beach area on his own when we arrived. I think his parents were up away from the beach watching him from a park bench. I didn't unleash him because it was a new situation, being so quiet except for the child there. He was watching the kid run around and was excited and wanted to go play. I redirected him and he seemed fine but then the child had also left pretty quickly.

If I had let him off straight away I was worried that he might run over the to the child and jump up and knock him over just to play with him (he loves everyone and everything but he is very heavy).

Did I do the right thing or should I have just trusted my dog and called him back if he headed over that way? Knowing we had never been in a situation like this before.

And how do you train a big dog to just ignore running children in parks/beaches when off leash? Am I supposed to just risk it and correct him if it does happen? Or am I supposed to get him into a sit and give him treats for focusing on me and then still risk it by then letting him off leash?

What would you do or have done or have seen others do, successfully or otherwise? Thanks.

We have a boxer who loves kids. He just wants to play, their squeaky excited voices are what sets him off, and often the balls or toys they have. We know this and always leash him when at the beach or park when we get close to where the kids are playing. You did the right thing. If your dog knocks down a kid and they cry and get hurt you will be in all sorts of trouble. Not worth the risk

I also grab the dogs if I see kids. Most of the time I get them to sit and wait when there are adults too. Poppy in particular lovessss all people and it is just embarrassing.

So yes I think you did the right thing.

I had mine sit and wait for a young boy today and the young lad said good morning. I nearly fainted, most of the young kids just ignore me!