Heartworm Prevention In Collies

Hi there,

Having read and heard that some Collies have a sensitivity to ivermectin (which is in heartworm medication) I am interested to hear what product DOL collie owners use and whether it is monthly/daily etc.

Also, what dose per kg of bodyweight?

Also, if using a monthly "combo" product, what price would I be expected to pay and are there any crowds who offer "bulk" deals? Trying to save money where I can!

Thankyou.

From my research, the numbers say approximately 30% of collie breed dogs will have some kind of reaction to Ivermectin or it's relatives. I've always used HeartGard on my BCs (and the rescues) and am yet to see a reaction.

I dose as per instructions on the packet.

The best prices I have found for the main flea/worming treatments is Priceless Pets, you have to fax your order to them rather than actually ordering online, but they are super-cheap.

JMHO :banghead:

Edited by molasseslass

My last post went missing so i will try again.

Some collie rough/smooth breeders had their lines tested when free testing was available for ivermectin sensitivity so contact her breeder.

Her breeder will also know if she has previously had ivermectin, in which case you will know if she is sensitive

I think i have also read that you should not start a dog on preventative if you dont know that dog to be clear - so please check with your breeder whether she was treated previously

Guest Tess32

We use and will only use the daily tablets.

You can get them from any vet or even safeway. I think there is even home brand - same thing.

There are various brands - I think the main thingie is that they are Diethylcarbamazine.

Nat

I have been hearing that Heartgard is ok, given monthly, but that correct dosage is important and that the problem can occur when HIGH doses of ivermectin are given. Would this be correct?

My dog was apparently bloodtested for heartworm mid April (just before I got her) and was all clear but I feel that I should perhaps put her on something as a preventative thing....

I have been hearing that Heartgard is ok, given monthly, but that correct dosage is important and that the problem can occur when HIGH doses of ivermectin are given. Would this be correct?

Yes, correct dosage is very important and you of course increase the chances of a reaction if the dose given is too high. Always important to weigh your dog and make sure the dose is correct before giving anything.

My dog was apparently bloodtested for heartworm mid April (just before I got her) and was all clear but I feel that I should perhaps put her on something as a preventative thing....

YES! The test is used to indicate that the dog is free from infestation at that time. It means that it is safe to begin medication to prevent it occuring. If the test was positive then your dog would have to be put through a lot of vet treatment to kill the current infestation before it could go on preventative medication. Dogs can and do die if started on preventative medication when already infested.

Ok so its been 2-3 weeks since she had her blood test (clear at the time). Do I need to get her bloodtested AGAIN now that shes in her new home,or should she be ok at this point to get her started on something in the next few days? I havent even as much found a vet yet that I will call my family vet. She is living in suburbia now.

Guest Tess32

From a website -

Research shows that 1 in 3 or 4 Collies in the U.S. is "pure" for the mutation. These Collies suffer acute and often fatal neurotoxicosis when certain drugs are administered at high doses in treatment and prevention of heartworm, and this may also apply to other ailments

Two common medications administered in an oral monthly tablet for prevention of heartworm (ivermectin and milbemycin oxime) have been given to Collies "pure" for the mutation mdr1-1Δ without incident. These two forms of heartworm prophylaxis are equally safe at the monthly prophylaxis dose, and both are toxic at higher doses.

-

So it's up to you, I just prefer the daily tabs cos you never know and I don't want to risk anything.

Nat

Ok so its been 2-3 weeks since she had her blood test (clear at the time). Do I need to get her bloodtested AGAIN now that shes in her new home,or should she be ok at this point to get her started on something in the next few days? I havent even as much found a vet yet that I will call my family vet. She is living in suburbia now.

Within a month of the test is fine to begin I believe, but the sooner the better.

Find a well respected local vet chezzyr. Maybe even a few will answer your question by phone without a consult. It has been long enough for her to become infected but you need to know how high a risk area you are in, and at what stage of the lifecycle any possible infection would be. A good vet will be honest with you whether you need to retest her. As to which medication on another forum of collie owners recently the same question was asked, it appeared most (who answered publicly anyway) were using the daily tablets that Nat uses.

As Nat said ultimately its up to you, but whatever you go with i would administer early morning so vets are readily available should a reaction occur.

Lately I cant get anything done because I am always doing "research" on DOL :banghead:

OK assuming I get started on say (eg) Heartgard....or a daily one

is it ok to use those combo worming/flea treatments alongside or should I be tackling this a different way? (dont some of those combo ones include treatment for heartworm and if thats the case wouldnt I risk overdosing on heartworm stuff????)

Guest Tess32

Yep don't use any that include heartworm.

We use Advantage for flea treatment and Drontel for worming.

Nat

Hi Chezzyr,

I use Heartguard as you know and have seen no hint of a reaction. As a bub he got ProHeart which the vet gave me for free (he was going to do the yearly ProHeart injection at 6 months so they were a "fill in" till he was old enough). He did not end up having the injection as the 6 momthly one was recalled in the US and I just didn't trust it. He gets Frontline Plus for fleas and Canex for worming.

I contacted the scientist who was doing the sensitivity testing but the study here has ended. You can get the test done but bloods have to be sent to US and it will cost $$$.

Cheers,

Corine

This morning I got an email response from a local vet I had considered using and they moreorless implied that it would be necessary to use ivermectin! I quote part of the email:

"it's necessary for you to use Ivermectin as a heartworm preventative" and...

(some products named)

"These offer a wider effective range than Ivermectin and have the added

advantage of preventing intestinal worms and fleas (dependant on which

product you choose)"

So I am kind of scratching my head now. They didnt even mention whether Id need to bring in my dog for a blood test (I said she had a blood test a few weeks ago)

Guest Tess32

Bunch of rubbish.

One of the vets I went to before we got Reilly (I was just checking some out so took the bunnies down as an excuse) had no idea collies were sensitive to ivermectin.

I'd avoid that vet.

I can't remember where you are, but Karingal vet is very good, as is Brighton.

Nat

Im with Tess if he doesnt know about ivermectin sensitivity in collies and the alternative preventions then best avoided. He is selling you what he sells, he knows the daily is cheaper through the supermarkets. No idea where you are but Karingal is good, also Monash.

Did you ask the breeder?

Yes all the googling Ive been doing and listening to other collie people's input...and now this vet's response. Makes me even want to avoid vets. Yikes!

How do I find a vet who is more "knowledgeable"? I am in the eastern suburbs so I guess anything between Box Hill and Croydon Id consider (or thereabouts)

Guest Tess32

No idea about those areas - is that far from Brighton? I was going there but it's too far for me really so I've switched to Karingal and Chris from there is brilliant.

You could cold call them around that area and ask what heartworm prevention you should give your collie, see what they say.

Nat