Heartworm Prevention In Collies

Bit far from Brighton LOL

Breeder feels it might be best to go with the daily ones (and Id go for one that has the "DEC" in it). The issue now being whether doggy really needs another bloodtest now shes in a new home (was bloodtested for HW three weeks ago - clear). I dont want to be hit with some big bill for consultation/blood tests if not absolutely necessary. I just have this thing about vet fees....*sigh*

yes under a month. Worse case scenario if she was bitten by a mozzie, how long do those suckers (worms) take to manifest?

I think I will pick up some daily tabs this week. I saw Coles had some "Friskies" ones - are there other kinds? I am not particularly loyal to Coles.

Hi Chezzyr

In relation to whether you should re-test or not ..... heartworm is just that. Worms that live in your dogs heart. The treatment for preventing heartworm actually kills the worms. Dead worms then are expelled from the heart & these worms can block or clog up the artery/veins. That could (probably would) kill your Collie.

What you need to determine is whether there is a chance that adult worms have had time to develop in that 3 week period.

Personally I would be having another blood test done - better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Find a vet that tests the blood at their own surgery. It is cheaper than one that sends the bloods off to a laboratory for the test.

With Drug Sensitivity in Collies (and some other breeds).

Firstly, it is not just the mectin family of drugs that some Collies are sensitive to. Unfortunately, it is apparent that a lot of vets are simply not aware of this which is a worry as it is a serious issue.

Secondly, whilst it is reported that the toxic reaction to "mectin" drugs only occurs in high doses I believe that it is better to err on the side of caution & therefore I refuse to allow ANY "mectin" drug in any form & any quantity to be administered to my Collies. After all, there are other options available.

Only the daily Heartworm preventative should be administered to a Collie. It is cheaper & if you get into a routine with giving the tablet with the dogs daily meal it is also simple.

The monthly spot-on Advantage (without the heartworm treatment in it) is the best for fleas.

Did you ask the breeder?

Yes Cheryl has asked me, I have advised her as to what we think is best but she has to make up her own mind. Which is very refreshing to see even better is all the help everyone is giving her. So keep it up guys :)

Cheers Kate

yep thanks everyone :)

I plan to get the daily ones. Do they have to be given at a particular time of day or with food? Someone suggested morning is a good time (due to vets then being open if theres a reaction).

A bit off topic but where do people tend to buy mince for their dogs? Pet or mince for human consumption? I dont know what pet mince is like these days but when I had a dog years ago I used to avoid the pet mince as it looked slimy and sinewy (not to mention an odd colour). Do you tend to go for just beef or other things like chicken, ox cheek etc?

Thanks

Someone suggested morning is a good time (due to vets then being open if theres a reaction).

I do that routinely with vaccinations, and any new medications. Things always seem worse at night, have twice for reasons had emergency trips to vets at night and it is no fun finding who is close by and open. Too many refer you to hospitals out of hours. I keep a list on the fridge of my preferred vets, who has night call, map of nearest major vet centre hospital, who locally keeps anti-venom (amazingly despite being a high risk area some of our local vets dont stock it).

Guest Tess32
yep thanks everyone :)

I plan to get the daily ones. Do they have to be given at a particular time of day or with food? Someone suggested morning is a good time (due to vets then being open if theres a reaction).

A bit off topic but where do people tend to buy mince for their dogs? Pet or mince for human consumption? I dont know what pet mince is like these days but when I had a dog years ago I used to avoid the pet mince as it looked slimy and sinewy (not to mention an odd colour). Do you tend to go for just beef or other things like chicken, ox cheek etc?

Thanks

Great :laugh:

We give them at night so we remember around dinner time.

AS for mince - I'd never give pet mince, I just cannot stand the smell or look of it. WE had to cook it a few months ago for the dog next door while his owners were away and the crap those rose to the top was revolting!

We give human grade mince raw.

Also raw chicken mince, raw beef, roast chicken etc plus bones.

Nat

I have the study done on Collies and Ivermectin, will need to find it but rough stats are that they need to be given over 30mcg per kg to cause a reaction in those lines sensitive to Ivermec....and Heartgard is only 6mcg per kg.

I have never heard of Collie's having reactions to Interceptor/Sentinel or Revolution or Advocate, I'm sure one of those preparations would be fine...

The daily tablets are fine but you might find that they eventually get taken off the shelves as they have been superseded by the monthly preparations.

ALSO if you miss ONE day of daily HW prevention, you put your dog at risk.

It takes approx 6mths for immature heartworm to mature....so when you have a test done and it is negative, then it is assumed you will start treatment immmediately and retest in 6mths to see if there are any adult heartworm lurking about.

There is definitely heartworm diagnosed it the eastern suburbs...and all it takes is one heartworm infested dog to act as the 'resevoir' for all the unprotected dogs in a large area.

If you want an absolutely ACE vet- I work for one close to the area you are after, he's brilliant!....PM me. :thumbsup:

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

Even if the dosage rate was .05mcg per kg - it would not be going anywhere near any of my Collies.

Whilst another alternative is available in the daily tablets that is what I will always recommend for any Collie. It was also mentioned years ago that daily tablets would be disappearing .... but they are still here to date & I hope that does not change.

We all feed our dogs daily - so get into the routine of giving the dog its tablet with its daily meal, that way a tablet should never be missed :thumbsup:

I use heartguard and like others have not had an issue with it. I think I also went for a stint on Proheart which is tablets. I went back to heartguard cause it is easier to give a chewable tablet than put tablets down the throat (not that I have a problem with that either).

For all worms, I use Propantal. Same stuff as Drontal only cheaper. That also contains (I think) a relative to ivermectin. No problems there.

Even the yearly vaccination can cause problems in some dogs. Have not had a problem their either.

Maybe lucky. Any dog can have a reaction to medication, just like humans. I know with Advantage (different product I know) though, I checked the dose rate once with the manufacturer. They said that there is built in, A high error for margin built in most pet products bought over the counter (perscription ones I don't know), including heart worm, all worm (as they also make Drontal)