Hip Dysplasia ?

Hi all,

I saw a 7 month old Husky at a park this morning that looks like it has some serious issues with the hind legs. I noticed the back legs were crossing over past the centreline when it walked. Picture a catwalk model when they walk with step crossing over? The dog didn't look very comfortable.

I chatted with them as it was one of the worst I have seen and was quite concerned. They said they would visit the vet tomorrow, but had seem the vet a month ago and nothing was said. It is quite possible that the vet didn't notice and the owners didn't know it was anything to be concerned about. Dog also seemed overweight to me :-(

Dog came from a "registered" breeder but I have seen some from the same lines that I have raised my eyebrows at. The owners mentioned that this dogs sister had a similar gait so she thought it was normal.

Any ideas what this could be from my description?I have given the owner my email and hope she will keep me posted.

Hard to know without seeing the dog itself as these could be ruled out easily by watching it.

But it could be a range of things, Hip dysplasia, an inner ear issue, back issue, degenerative myelopathy. Would recommend a physio type vet as well :)

But it sounds like my old GSD who had HD..

Edited by denali

Hard to know without seeing the dog itself as these could be ruled out easily by watching it.

But it could be a range of things, Hip dysplasia, an inner ear issue, back issue, degenerative myelopathy. Would recommend a physio type vet as well :)

Thanks Denali - I thought it would be a tricky one to guess from a written description. Can just hope for the best I suppose. Good idea to see a vet with physio background

Thanks Denali - I thought it would be a tricky one to guess from a written description. Can just hope for the best I suppose. Good idea to see a vet with physio background

Yes, hopefully nothing too nasty!

Sounds more like a hock issue

post-199-0-88901900-1438163521_thumb.jpg

My link

Thanks Steve! That is exactly what it looks like to me, a cross between the first pic and last. I got a message from the girl that said she went straight to the vets, and they seem to think it is fine, but keep an eye on it! No X-rays... I don't know as it was the worst I have ever seen :confused: I have asked if she can make a video.

What is the normal prognosis and treatment for a hock issue like illustrated ?

It is amazing what people see as normal.

I think your awesome for spotting this and pointing it out :thumbsup: . Knowing that something isn't right is the first and most important step in getting dogs help!!

Thanks Jumbaar :) I don't normally make any comments to fellow husky owners about structure, but I was really concerned about the dog :-(