Keeping Dogs Cool

cowanbree

I have a sheltie that has terminal lung cancer, diagnosed in November he was only meant to have 6 weeks. The heat was very difficult for him last summer and with summer fast approaching I am looking for solutions to keep him cool. I have a heat pump but to be honest the cool cycle is average. It does cool the house to a certain degree but it can still get quite hot and humid inside. I have a dehumidifier but have never used it, would it help at all?

He loathes water and would never consider going anywhere near a pool. I have tried the cool mats but he wasn’t a fan. I was thinking a cool coat or something similar but it would have to be ok to leave on him for 10 odd hours I am at work and work on a coated dog. I am not against shaving him if it would help but he has a more drapey flowing coat rather than a dense one so I suspect it would be of marginal help.

I would welcome suggestions.

Thank you, sadly that is what I thought. Do you think a dehumidifier would help?

I have never used one but have owned dogs with heart issues & now have 1 with one functioning lung & both struggled in humidity ,in summer we have refrig air con which helps bigtime ,smoke is also a big issue we have.

It could very well help