Border Collies

Solo pup

Can any one recommend a border collie breeder?

And also what is the price range of puppies?

I don't want to breed just do sport and may be interested in showing in the neuter class.

I have owned one border before she was nearly 16 when I had to put her to sleep.

Looking for a black and white puppy and I need a dog with a very good stable temperament.

Can any one recommend a border collie breeder?

And also what is the price range of puppies?

I don't want to breed just do sport and may be interested in showing in the neuter class.

I have owned one border before she was nearly 16 when I had to put her to sleep.

Looking for a black and white puppy and I need a dog with a very good stable temperament.

Everyone has a different view on what makes a 'good' BC breeder and what a stable temperament is. I'd say that my younger two both have great temperaments, but they are TOTALLY different. One would fit into just about any home and is so chilled that sometimes I wonder if she is a BC. (clearly she is, but.....) Then the other is a complete maniac - totally bomb proof and incredibly trainable, but such high drive that not many people would cope with him.

While price is important it's probably best to make sure that you are comfortable with the breeder and their dogs - a couple of hundred dollars either way is nothing when you think about how long you have to live with your dog for. ;)

There are quite a few breeders with nice dogs in SA. Might be worth having a look in the breed pages on here and then starting a conversation with a few of them. Something to remember - a shiny website and good sales pitch are not always a good indicator of good dogs.

Adding to what AD said ... yes several great breeders in SA. One starting point would be to have a look (if it's online) at the catalogue and or results for the Adelaide Royal. You might also try sending a private message to DOLer piper .. she may be able to fill you in.

Prices would be around the $1000 or a little higher I think. It's important to make sure the breeder undertakes testing for CL, TNS and CEA, and has hip and elbow scores for parents ..and ideally, has mature eye exam results.

Innisman

Ingomar

Tullacrest

Start there. All are very good breeders who health test. I know the pedigrees and I happily recommend any of them. All reside in SA.

Happy to answer any question you have as well. Feel free to ask smile.gif

Thank you very much. I have been looking at lots of the breeders I must say I really like these dogs Narof. The neuter Gel is just beautiful. Love the way the black comes down round her neck.

Temperament and health is the most important thing tho. I need a dog that will be good with children. I see older dogs being re homed and most say they are looking for a home with no small children. Are some lines not real good with kids or is it just that they are not used to them and the breeders don't want to risk anything happening?

Do you know what co owned means?

And is it a requirement for all the reg breeders to do the screening tests or is it optional? And if a dog doesn't test good is it against the rules for it to be bred with? Or do I need to be asking for test results to make sure?

Innisman

Ingomar

Tullacrest

Start there. All are very good breeders who health test. I know the pedigrees and I happily recommend any of them. All reside in SA.

Thank you very much. I have been looking at lots of the breeders I must say I really like these dogs Narof. The neuter Gel is just beautiful. Love the way the black comes down round her neck.

Temperament and health is the most important thing tho. I need a dog that will be good with children. I see older dogs being re homed and most say they are looking for a home with no small children. Are some lines not real good with kids or is it just that they are not used to them and the breeders don't want to risk anything happening?

And is it a requirement for all the reg breeders to do the screening tests or is it optional? And if a dog doesn't test good is it against the rules for it to be bred with? Or do I need to be asking for test results to make sure?

I'm a little biased but I'm quite partial to Nahrof myselfsmile.gif I'm part of the Nahrof team. Gel is a gorgeous girl and we have some young members of our team that are very promising too.

Co-own means the breeder stays in partnership with you owning the dog. Both the breeder and new owner's names appear on the pedigree as owners and any matings etc can only be registered if BOTH owners sign paperwork. We successfully co-own several dogs with people. These partnership generally are good, but I would want to know my breeder well before undertaking a co-ownership.

In Border Collies health testing is technically optional, however, any reputable breeder would absolutely be testing and I wouldn't touch any that didn't with a 10 foot pole! In our breed I would want the parents to be tested for CL, TNS, CEA (or be clear by parentage) Hip and Elbow scored and have gonioscopy done as well. I would want to see proof of testing

I would absolutely ask if the parents are health tested.

The majority of puppies we breed go on to be pets, so temperament should be of the utmost importance!

I hope my answers have helped. If you have any more, don't hesitate to ask

Innisman

Ingomar

Tullacrest

I'm a little biased but I'm quite partial to Nahrof myselfsmile.gif I'm part of the Nahrof team. Gel is a gorgeous girl and we have some young members of our team that are very promising too.

Co-own means the breeder stays in partnership with you owning the dog. Both the breeder and new owner's names appear on the pedigree as owners and any matings etc can only be registered if BOTH owners sign paperwork. We successfully co-own several dogs with people. These partnership generally are good, but I would want to know my breeder well before undertaking a co-ownership.

In Border Collies health testing is technically optional, however, any reputable breeder would absolutely be testing and I wouldn't touch any that didn't with a 10 foot pole! In our breed I would want the parents to be tested for CL, TNS, CEA (or be clear by parentage) Hip and Elbow scored and have gonioscopy done as well. I would want to see proof of testing

I would absolutely ask if the parents are health tested.

The majority of puppies we breed go on to be pets, so temperament should be of the utmost importance!

I hope my answers have helped. If you have any more, don't hesitate to ask

???? yes thankyou very much.

I was amazed at the information provided by my breeder when I bought Archie. She had a family tree going back many generations, all tests for both mother and father, reams of other information and advice. She knew the temperament of each pup and how they would develop. I signed a contract giving her the right to reclaim the dog if he was ever found to be mistreated and so forth.

From having a Border Collie previously I can't imagine ever having a different breed. They're incredible dogs in many ways, personality and intellect.