Boxer Diagnosed With Insulinoma

*Lakey*

Hi Everyone

Only my 2nd time posting here, hopefully you can help me.

Our 11 year old boxer was recently diagnosed with an Insulinoma in his pancreas. This will produce spikes of insulin which then absorbs all his glucose, leading to hypoglycaemia and seizure and death. ????

In order to manage him and avoid hypo's we need to feed him frequently with high protein, fibre and fat diet, no simple sugars. Ideally raw would be the way to go but time and location restricts me. I'm trying to source a dry food that fits this bill. The best dry I found had the second main ingredient as potato which isn't good for him.

Just seeing if others had suggestions or had been through this before?

He is also on prednisolone twice a day which isn't good for him long term but at the moment it's balancing quality vs quantity of life.

Thanks for reading.

Jodie and Rocky

I can't understand why you cannot buy raw? Turkey necks/beef/mince, meat offcuts , lamb hearts are all available at supermarkets/butchers ..(and eggs, yoghurt & sardines are pretty much everywhere ) psyllium husks for fibre , or some cooked celery

i have no experience of this problem - hope your boy can remain stable ..and that you get some more ideas . poor old lad .

I lost my first pointer to a malignant pancreatic tumour :( and although I think the diet advice was different, it was definitely an emotional roller coaster & juggling act and I just wanted to wish you all the very best for some quality time. :grouphug:

Just a some tips before you buy (you can completely ignore me, I just have some experience with 'special' old dogs which might help) :)

Finding a dry food that effectively manages serious and variable conditions can be a complete waste of time and money. Like flushing cash down the loo. I've thrown out so much trial and error prescription diet and condition-specific processed dog food that they are now the bottom of the options list compared to what you can do in the kitchen. I make my own raw veg/fruit pulp, add coconut oil, chia, and vet's all natural complete mix (which you could probably leave out). Woolies has enough meat, bone & fish options if you have no pet supply locally. Have a look at Ziwipeak air dried though. It's pretty good. :)

Supportive therapies/supplements

There is Augustine Approved who are great for special dietary advice.

Dr Bruce Syme's clinic (Vet's All Natural) can send Chinese Herbs.

Robert Mc Dowell's do free online consult for their naturopathic supportive therapies.

And there's a few natural diet books that advice the feeding of pancreas for pancreatic conditions but you'd have to really research that one because his insulin is all over the place so you don't want to cause more problems.

And there's 'Golden Paste'. Have a google or find the 'tumeric user group' on FB.

Edited by Powerlegs

I have treated several dogs with insulinomas medically. At the time I was treating them, we used a good quality puppy food but what works best for individual dogs may vary - some are better with low fibre / high protein, some are better on higher fibre / complex carbs. Although in the long term steroids are steroids and side effects will occur, the doses required for maintenance of blood glucose are not high. The blood glucose may not always be normal but the aim of the steroid treatment is neuroprotective so it will limit the clinical signs even if the blood glucose is loitering around low.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks for the replies.

Surgery was briefly discussed but due to his age mainly we felt medically managing him was in his best interests (he's 11).

With 3 young children, remote location and part time work raw is not feasible, he requires feeds every 3 hours so I am using an automatic feeder when not home. I could manage if it was quick to prepare but time is not a luxury I have unfortunately.

Thankyou Powerlegs, quality time with him is all I'm after. I understand he will go, probably sooner than I want. It will never be long enough though.

Rappie, if I can work it out I will thankyou.

Hi Jodes,

Have you tried Ivory Coat? I have a bag of the Lamb & Roo here and it has potato as the third ingredient - but it's 36% protein and 18% fat.

Prime Petfood in Warrnambool stocks it :)

http://ivorycoat.com.au/?gclid=CJrBgfP5y8oCFQx9vQod63EHuA

Would it be possible to stock Rocky's auto feeder with dry food for during the day and raw feed him for the rest? Happy to run you through the raw feeding regime I use for my guys if you need it :)

I also buy this in bulk from a friend in Melbourne so happy to grab some for you as well if it helps: http://www.raw4paws.com.au/OurFood.aspx

xxx to you and Rocky :)

Jess

Omg Jess, I never thought to ask you about Raw feeding, perfect person ????

If it's ok, I'd love to come and chat to u about it, where u source it all etc.

I did see the Ivory Coat but if I remember correctly he needs less than 10% fat but I'll look back at the notes. That may be incorrect.

Like the look of the Raw food, that could be handy. A good compromise.

Thanks so much!

Edited by *Lakey*