Need Help Finding The Right Service Dog

SeanyB

Do you mean an assistance dog or a therapy dog - big difference in the work they do and how they are trained

Do you need a dog to be with you and hang out with and love you as you love it or do you need a dog that will pick things up for you turn on light switches ,take your washing out of the machine etc ?

Where can I get a dog who takes washing out of the machine? Think I really need one that can do that, will it hang it out and iron as well?

F R , if you have a front loader .. it'd be easy enough to teach :)

Do you mean an assistance dog or a therapy dog - big difference in the work they do and how they are trained

Do you need a dog to be with you and hang out with and love you as you love it or do you need a dog that will pick things up for you turn on light switches ,take your washing out of the machine etc ?

Where can I get a dog who takes washing out of the machine? Think I really need one that can do that, will it hang it out and iron as well?

My dog will but you might not like the remodelling she will also do... Lace is her favourite. Make holes.

Maltese used to be so popular in our area . We owned two we got in the mid 90 s , one from a breeder and a rescue who was bonkers .

So sad that they are so hard to get now ...... You would find getting a Maltese x poodle easier ( not that I recommending that )

How about a Bichon? I hear they are very similar in personality ,probably a bit more trainable than a Maltese which can only be a good thing for the purpose you want pup for .

There is a slightly older girl advertised on the Maltese breed page that may be worth looking at : http://www.dogzonlin...ure/maltese.asp

There is also one litter advertised (and often people will import from NZ so don't let its location stop you investigating)

The comments are right that sadly a maltese is harder to get now. So you may as an alerternative need to find a breeder you like and see if you can get on a waiting list for a pup (I do find it frustrating if people are not answering your emails. Be sure to put detail in about what you plan with the puppy etc as that may get a better response).

You could also contact the breed clubs and talk to the secretary and see if they can refer you. It may, if you feel you can, also be better to call and chat to some breeders rather than email. Some may feel more comfortable talking on the phone.

I do agree with the suggestion to look at breeds like the Papillon too.

Edited by espinay2