Keeping Wasps Away?

Hey guys every time I feed my puppy raw it attract wasps for some reason, they are no where around before feeding raw but slowly come out of no where when puppy eating raw. How can I keep wasps away when his eating? Thanks

Edited by spice_1

You need to find the nest and get it destroyed.

If they're that quick that they're on the scene before your dog is done eating - the nest must be very close.

European wasps forage by doing a sort of grid search over an area. When they find some food, they collected it and head directly back to the nest. So you can use this to track them back to the nest or triangulate it. Ideally with food that is not your puppies dinner.

Otherwise - feed puppy indoors behind screens that the wasps can't get through. If this is not possible - consider getting a very large soft sided crate - and feeding inside that with the doors zipped shut. Maybe spray the outside of it with surface spray. That way the wasps can't get in.

You can also make or buy traps for wasps - if you hang these around your boundary - hopefully the wasps won't come further than the traps.

This page describes a bit more how to find the nest. Ask your local council to get it destroyed if it is not on your property. If it is on your property, get professional pest controllers to do it. If it's on your neighbour's property and they won't get it destroyed - talk to your council.

https://www.lga.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=283

If for some reason you can't feed puppy indoors, then get a decent sized soft crate (these are insect proof when zipped up) and pop that outdoors at feed time, zipping puppy inside for the duration of the meal.

Follow the wasps to your fence line so you can at least point council in the right direction.